When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Twin-Formation: Elgin Twinbar Details

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
restored elgin twinn

here's my elgin 20? 30?

Attachments

• DSCN0063.jpg
    DSCN0063.jpg
    117.7 KB · Views: 379
  • DSCN0059.jpg
    DSCN0059.jpg
    131.1 KB · Views: 379
  • DSCN0058.jpg
    DSCN0058.jpg
    109.1 KB · Views: 361
  • DSCN0060.jpg
    DSCN0060.jpg
    121.8 KB · Views: 352
  • DSCN0064.jpg
    DSCN0064.jpg
    78.2 KB · Views: 356
Good looking bike! You should post it in the 'Elgin twin bar count' thread also, it's a collection of pictures thread

Westfield, or Murray How to Identify???

Awesome thread!!! How do the 2 different factory twins differ? I have a 1939 53rd Anniversary Special where were these made? Is there an accurate production number on the different models and the total number of twin bars manufactured from each plant?
Thanks all you Guru's

Id also like to know how to spot the differences in frames. Having just bought my first twinbar from nate, im really interested to know the history and see where my bike plays in to it.

Murray or Westfield Frame

Can someone confirm the bike frames numbered #1 and #2 (red and silver) in photos attached early in the tread by are the Westfield variant.

Is there a hobby preference by collectors to which manufacturer produced the bike?

Thanks All

Can someone confirm the bike frames numbered #1 and #2 (red and silver) in photos attached early in the tread by are the Westfield variant.

Is there a hobby preference by collectors to which manufacturer produced the bike?

Thanks All

Ya those are the Westfield ones. Preference? I don't know, from 10ft away it's as near as makes no difference, but after checking both types out, up close I'm happy I own a Murray-built one.

Serial Number, Kickstand

I have attached a close up photo of the original blue paint of my 4-star.
Also, a pic of the SN is below, but it is only G11...nothing else hidden or unreadable.
This seems to only partially correspond to Mr. Columbia's numerology...

View attachment 31192View attachment 31193

Any more speculation on date and a conclusive factory specified color?

Thanks, Chris

For Refference:
Original Finish, Westfield Built, 1939 53rd Anniversary Sale Twin Bar, Deep Brown w/Ivory Accents
D8948 and E11, Serial# seems to correspond to Mr Columbia's numerology not sure about (E11) Paint code maybe.

Does anyone know if this is the possitive lock sidestand reffenced in cataloge ad?

Can someone read the tire date code on these Crusaders?
V/R Ivo

As a point of clarification, the fourth bike from the left is an all original '41 "Finest Equipped" twin bar. That model had a unique carrier with tail light and no tank. What you are seeing where a tank would normally live is the rear fender of the neighboring Twin 50.

QUOTE=Talewinds;100887]Ok, sounds as if this is the place for my latest Twin Bar mystery....

I added a rough looking Twin Bar 4-Star to my herd early this year and since then have scoured the net looking for reference images, suffice it to say I've seen a bunch of photos of Twin Bars in the past 8 months or so.

Then, in a recent and interesting thread containing links to those Google patent documents I found this....

b20d0bec-1.jpg

A different designer than the J.R. Morgan on the other Twin Bar patents, this one from 1943, much later in the Twin Bar timeline. Notice the difference in shape of the crank pod (more details of that crank pod can be seen elsewhere in the patent doc, not included above). What's most striking is the tank shape, quite a bit different, plain, simple, almost juvenile in its design in comparison to the much more attractive yet still poorly oriented Twin-60 tank. I have not personally seen an actual bike frame/crank pod/tank that represents the design above. Was this design stillborn?

But wait, in another recent thread involving one of the more reclusive members here we ogled over the photos in a gallery that appeared here at CABE and in one of them I noticed something odd. Take a look at the fourth bike from the left, the black Twin Bar.... What is that tank??? http://thecabe.com/vbulletin/album.php?albumid=640&attachmentid=30086[/QUOTE]

Mystery tank

The mystery tank is actually the rear fender of the green twin 50. A bit of an optical illusion but wouldn't it have been fun to discover a never seen before aluminum tank.

Back