When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Twinn Stick shifters

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

Bmc5733946

On Training Wheels
Can anybody school me on the "Twinn Stick" headset mounted shifters, differences, years of differences. I've already found a couple of different fonts for the "S" logo on the stalks. Can anybody point me toward whats correct for 1974??
Thanks for any help!

Brian

----

launch was mcmlxvii

while manufactured in France by Freres Huret they never appear in any Freres Huret printed materials as they are truly proprietary with Arnie & Co.

-----

There is the Schwinn expert called metacortex that knows everything.
I think that is his handle both here, there(other forums) and everywhere.

Like Sgt Schultz, I know nothing but I believe 1967 is the first (s) (s) twinn-stik stem mount for ten speeds.
The five speed model Collegiate also first got the (s) single-stik on the 1967 model.

You are correct about an easily visible change to the twinn-stik occurred around 1974, I think it was but I do not know exactly.
You can see that the twinn--stik levers in certainly the 1967 through 1973 era have the (s) (s) small odd shaped ess somewhat closer to the shape of ess as seen on the logo of rockband, KISS.
----The 1975 on twinn-stik levers have (S) (S) where the ess is larger and more normal looking, resembling a capital ess.

Ditto for the 5 speed Collegiate & Suburban single-stik lever. 1967 through 1973 Collegiate has (s) and I think some if not all 1974 Collegiate models have (S).
1970 was the first year for the Schwinn Suburban, so the 5 speed SUBURBAN of the 1970 through 1973 era have (s).
In 1974, Schwinn chose to use a Thumb Shifter on the 5 speed SUBURBAN.
In 1975 Schwinn changed the 5 speed SUBURBAN back to the single-stik stem mounted lever which in 1975 had the (S) instead of (s) as had appeared on the 1973 model.

There is the Schwinn expert called metacortex that knows everything.
I think that is his handle both here, there(other forums) and everywhere.

Like Sgt Schultz, I know nothing but I believe 1967 is the first (s) (s) twinn-stik stem mount for ten speeds.
The five speed model Collegiate also first got the (s) single-stik on the 1967 model.

You are correct about an easily visible change to the twinn-stik occurred around 1974, I think it was but I do not know exactly.
You can see that the twinn--stik levers in certainly the 1967 through 1973 era have the (s) (s) small odd shaped ess somewhat closer to the shape of ess as seen on the logo of rockband, KISS.
----The 1975 on twinn-stik levers have (S) (S) where the ess is larger and more normal looking, resembling a capital ess.

Ditto for the 5 speed Collegiate & Suburban single-stik lever. 1967 through 1973 Collegiate has (s) and I think some if not all 1974 Collegiate models have (S).
1970 was the first year for the Schwinn Suburban, so the 5 speed SUBURBAN of the 1970 through 1973 era have (s).
In 1974, Schwinn chose to use a Thumb Shifter on the 5 speed SUBURBAN.
In 1975 Schwinn changed the 5 speed SUBURBAN back to the single-stik stem mounted lever which in 1975 had the (S) instead of (s) as had appeared on the 1973 model.

I haven't seen hide nor hair of @Metacortex in quite a while. I hope he's still around and doing well.

For 74 I believe you should have the larger head "lollypop" shifters. There is a couple of versions of the earlier smaller head ones but think only 1 version of the lollypop.

Metacortex mostly hangs out on the road bike forum but just checked and his last activity there was in Sept so I agree with you GT in hoping he is well.

I have great respect for Metacortex and his seemingly encyclopedic knowledge and the way he handled things elsewhere. I actually joined this forum because he was here, I know others left the other forum and arrived here as well. I was hoping he might chime in. Thank you guys for your help. I'm building kind of a city bike from a 74 Paramount and want to keep it sort of period correct. I already dispensed with the idea of steel gooseneck and handlebars but thought maybe the twins sticks appropriate. I'm just too anal about certain things I think. Frame is headed to Waterford for paint and possibly chrome, I have adequate time for decisions. I really didn't want to lose the original patina but the paint was very fragile and thin, rubbing through in several spots when I attempted to clean it well. I too hope all is well with Metacortex.

Brian

Back