When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Two 1965 Stingray Survivors from the Chicago suburbs

-
How do these bikes stay in this condition for 60 years?
I would think as stated in a previous post kids outgrew them quickly. Some kids never rode them, but more often they just graduated to a 10 speed or their older siblings bike. I'm sure some were underappreciated and just ignored but more often I imagine an neat organized dad of the '60s just put it away in the garage once it was out grown like everything else and there it sat.

very nice….Jim’s is still in buisness under new owners 20 years ago…I bought them out before they sold the buisness…and park Schwinn just closed in spring 2021….I helped him sell the place, a few pieces stashed still : ) strangely he couldn’t get bikes or parts due to Covid…. He ran it to the very last new bike then said no more And shut the doors.

How do these bikes stay in this condition for 60 years? Serious question. How many people buy a Sting-Ray for their kid and it never gets ridden, and then stays mint for six decades? And another serious question: how do you end up with them all, 60sstuff? At least you share them with us, so that’s cool.
Well, I spent considerable time on the phone and the internet searching for the Best Survivor early Stingrays I could find from 1998 through 2009. I was fortunate to locate some very nice examples.
All of my bikes were obviously well taken care of by the previous owners. Plus Schwinn built a high quality bicycle. Durable paint, quality chrome and tough seats.

There are many reasons why a bicycle, muscle car or an old Daisy BB gun can survive wear and tear as I collect all of these.
Believe it or not, some people cherish what they own and take good care of it. Others are thrashed and left outside to deteriorate.
I have a couple riders, but most of my collection stays covered, as I’m just the temporary caretaker.

I love seeing other nice Original examples shown by members and I like sharing my bicycles and knowledge with everyone on this great CABE site.
We are only here for a short while, so enjoy what you can.

E49D1CF9-10EE-48F1-87F6-5356ADABD488.jpeg

I bought a mint 66 blue stingray 1990s at-a garage sale….I couldn’t think as to why it was literally new but when I drove by the house later I saw the wheelchair ramp… guess the kid was injured back in the day…the family left the bike in the garage and kept it ready to ride

How do these bikes stay in this condition for 60 years? Serious question. How many people buy a Sting-Ray for their kid and it never gets ridden, and then stays mint for six decades? And another serious question: how do you end up with them all, 60sstuff? At least you share them with us, so that’s cool.
I saw a sad craigslist post by an old man who was selling his kid's mustang. His kid purchased it and then joined the military and died. They started it up every two weeks, but didn't drive it. It stayed in the garage absolutely mint for decades. His wife died, and he felt it was time to sell the car. Whenever I see a bike that is scratched, repainted, dented and parts replaced makes me think some kid loved the bike.

Back