When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Two Colsons

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
Thx for the pictures, a step by step process. Bar Keepers Friend. Never used the stuff. It's rare to hear about its use but, I should get some to try.
It's a cleaner I'm assuming?

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Last edited:
VERY INTERESTING!
RESULTS LOOK GOD!
NICE STRIPE AND BARS ON FENDERS.
JUST FYI BAR KEEPERS FRIEND HAS OXALIC ACID IN IT.
OH, AS LONG AS YOU CREATED THE OA POOL, WHY NOT TRY PUTTING THE RIMS IN IT?
CAN YOU BRING THE SUBJECT BIKES TO THE VILLAGE CYCLE SWAP MEET SUNDAY IN ARLINGTON HEIGHTS?
I ASSUME AFTER BEING UP ALL NIGHT, WE WILL SEE YOU THERE!

Thx first the pictures a step by step process. Bar Keepers Friend. Never used the stuff. It's rare to hear about its use but, I should get some to try.
It's a cleaner I'm assuming?

Hey jd. I read somewhere that one could soak painted parts in a solution of "Bar Keeper's Friend" and it would dissolve rust. I tried it in an overnight soak and had no results. Maybe I did not mix it strong enough. However, I have used it as a cleaner and the stuff is great. I bought it at Lowes.
I have heard it has The O.X. in it as does the household cleaner "Zud". Weather it does or not or How much???? Don't know.
.The Savogran Wood Bleach I got at Ace Hardware. It is 100% O.X. Nothing at Ace is cheap. The little tub of it was about 9-10 bucks.
It goes a long way though. I have heard it's available much cheaper through mail order.
Not supposed to get it on skin. I did get a little last night in my eye and it burned a little. No worse then lemon juice.
Made a batch of lime ricky's for my wife and neighbors outta the stuff last night. They loved it . My wife was complaining of a sore throat this morning . Oh well........;)

Started this project on Tuesday and just finished putting it together. Took it around the block and it rides really nice.
Going to assemble the other Colson Saturday.
The first photo is what it looked like the day it was purchased at a "Krate" show. Only 2 prewar bikes there. This bike was not for sale. The fellow that owned it wanted to enter it as a ratrod in the show but couldn't as the bike had no kickstand. Guess he figured he would lean it on another bike.;)
Because this bike obviously had the wrong headbadge on it he thought it was a Schwinn:rolleyes:.
I figured I had better rescue this old boy....and I did.
The first photo is the day I got it.
013.JPG
016.jpg

Before I even loaded the bike into the truck I removed those Commie Reds:mad: off the wheels and sold them to the fellow next to me for 10 bucks.
Here are today's photos:
002.JPG
003.JPG
004.JPG

Switched out the rusted rims for better ones. Installed a Morrow hub in the rear wheel this morning and put on some old U.S. Chains for the rubber. Horn button is wrong but actually works. The drop stand needs a little work. Applied a Firestone badge.
The Oxalic acid bath did a fine job bringing out whats left of the original paint:)I am happy.

LOOKS GOOD!
HAVE YOU TRIED WAXING IT YET?
No Wes I have not waxed it or touched the paint up. After The Oxalic acid I just lightly cleaned it with the Barkeeper's friend to get the crud off and wiped it down with W.D 40. Can't even tell the Wd40 is on it as it dried up and left no oily film. I may leave it as is.
Got Colson #2 on the stand

Using what parts I had left I assembled Colson #2. Just have to find some fender braces.
Next up; Work on the Manton and smith Cowboy bike!
004.JPG

Back