When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Two New Hoosier Great Western Bikes

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

decotriumph

I live for the CABE
This has been a good week! I picked up this 1921-ish Reading Standard from Crown King in Indianapolis last Sunday morning...
2.jpg
3.jpg

and then I got this 1915 or so curly frame Crown locally from Smoopy. I've been after the Crown for 6 or 7 years and it finally came available.
20190905-075316.jpg
20190905-075326.jpg

The Reading Standard seems to be all correct except the saddle. The Crown has the wrong handlebar & stem but the rest seems to be right and original. It even has traces of the original paint on the rims.

Last edited:
The curly frame has a 1913 design patent, (although drawn with a taller than 4" head tube); number 44,249 with 3 truss pieces and 4 curls.
D44,249 GW Lonn Frame fancy 4-curve 1913_Page_1.jpg

EJ Lonn sure was busy drawing curves in 1913. Do the 2 serial numbers confirm that GWM’s system has yet to be deciphered?
Do the few curly-frame examples usually sport a "Crown" head badge?

Last edited:
The curly frame has a 1913 design patent, (although drawn with a taller than 4" head tube); number 44,249 with 3 truss pieces and 4 curls.
View attachment 1058819
EJ Lonn sure was busy drawing curves in 1913. Do the 2 serial numbers confirm that GWM’s system has yet to be deciphered?

Excellent reference

"Crown King" told me that GWM used this frame design from 1913 through 1916 only. I have not seen or heard of their being used on any brand but Crown but I am certainly not an authority. Thanks for that patent drawing!

I saw that Reading sitting on eBay for a bit...teasing me. If it had been a larger frame, I woulda jumped on it. That Crown is unreal. I've seen a couple pop up and they always seem to be smaller frames. Hoping to come across a taller one if they even made one. Congrats!

Back