When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Typhoons w/ Painted Rims-What Years?

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
I have boxes of Schwinn Union spokes, all are marked 10 19/32. Ya, 5/8 works.
10 19/32" if 3 cross. Schwinn didn't four cross middleweights in the 60's.

I just tried to lace a red band to the S-7 last week thew 269mm /10 5/8 did not work 3 or 4 cross. 10 7/8 worked at 4 cross. I have only been building wheels for a few years so barely a novice. Maybe there is a trick to using the 269 , I could not get them to work either cross.

I unlaced a wheel to clean up a rusty rim. It was a four cross lace and I got the bike from the lady who was the original owner, it even has a set of (hard and cracked) original tires with original tubes on it so I’m sure those wheels were original as well.

I unlaced a wheel to clean up a rusty rim. It was a four cross lace and I got the bike from the lady who was the original owner, it even has a set of (hard and cracked) original tires with original tubes on it so I’m sure those wheels were original as well.

Both my 1955 Corvettes, one a coaster and one a 3 speed, are laced 4 cross front and rear with the same size spokes that are about 10 7/8". I have never had a 60's Schwinn middleweight that was 4 cross. Schwinn made a change on the middleweight lacing at some point between the 50's and 60's.

This S7 is a four cross lace. The long blue strip of tape is the crossing spoke. The spokes with the small green pieces of tape are the crossed. The first three crosses are over and the 4th is under. As close as I can tell without removing one, the spokes are 11" long.
IMG_20220515_203830065.jpg

IMG_20220515_203723031.jpg

I had a 66 Typhoon that had painted wheels , they used whatever was on the production line to get the bikes done for that day

I had a 66 Typhoon that had painted wheels , they used whatever was on the production line to get the bikes done for that day

I don't believe that BS excuse everyone uses when their 60 year old bike is a mutt. The regular 1966 Typhoon was spec'd with chrome rims part number 3931, same as the Deluxe Typhoon.

I don't believe that BS excuse everyone uses when their 60 year old bike is a mutt. The regular 1966 Typhoon was spec'd with chrome rims part number 3931, same as the Deluxe Typhoon.
did you work at the schwinn factory when they were being assembled???

Back