When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Uh Oh. Locked Columbia fork on new project. What to do?

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

Jim Barnard

Wore out three sets of tires already!
Simple fix or a locksmith or just drill it out?

I'm new to this game, but I don't think drilling on that beauty is the right answer. I think that would really drop the value, but again I don't know much. I would talk with a locksmith. It may be a simple process for a pro.

Wes doesn't make Columbia keys. First off, remove stem and look if you can access the locking bolt. If not, Remove the fender and see if there is an access hole. For the life of me, I can't recall if it has an access hole, like Schwinn. If there is, go thru the underside of fork to slide pivot arm back. If there is a dust plug in it, carefully drill a 3/16 hole and insert tip of punch or whatever you have in hole and pry up, to remove plug. Don't jamb drill bit through, as it will hit cylinder and damage it. I've had several of these and they are nice bikes. Shown below is a 52 that I had. Blast some penetrating oil in key slot... you might be able the grasp that key with a good set of pliers and turn cylinder.

Part it out!

I'll take that cool sturmey wide flange front brakehub...That'll come off easy!

I suggest figuring out what type/kind of lock they used and buy a suitable lock picking kit.

Real nice bike!

I have a real question. Why would there be a need to lock the forks? I wouldn't think there would be a lot of fork burglars in those days, so there must be another reason.

Back