When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Uncommon Serial Number on Prewar Dayton Frame

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

Cowboy in NC

Wore out three sets of tires already!
DSCN3596.JPG
DSCN3597.JPG
Hey Guys, ...(and Ladies).
Am preparing to sell a Prewar Huffman- Built Dayton Men`s Frame. Serial Number is " B4919" and there is a "2" below that line. I have checked the Serial Charts on the Cabe Site. " B" is a 1940, and back of fork reads "140." The frame has the welded on kickstand. Isn`t this a low, low Serial number though? ---Cowboy

Isn`t this a low, low Serial number though?
Hi Cowboy,
I have a 1940 single bar Huffman camelback with the serial number: B2297 with a 1 below; I am aware of another 1940 big tank bike with a similar serial number. The other 3 Huffman 1940 bikes I own have Firestone and Western Flyer codes in their serial numbers. It is all a big puzzle with some of the code cracked but much unknown... Your fork is from January of 1940 based on the fork number.

Kindly, Brant

IMG_3153.jpg

Hi Cowboy,
I have a 1940 single bar Huffman camelback with the serial number: B2297 with a 1 below; I am aware of another 1940 big tank bike with a similar serial number. The other 3 Huffman 1940 bikes I own have Firestone and Western Flyer codes in their serial numbers. It is all a big puzzle with some of the code cracked but much unknown... Your fork is from January of 1940 based on the fork number.

Kindly, Brant

View attachment 677020
Thanks for your reply, I was beginning to think my Post had disappeared into the Twilight Zone. Since my frame has a Badge, and a different front fork- it would not have been a BIG TANK.
Do you think this one carried the 3-Rib long tank originally as a very early 1940? Pictures of Forties are hard to find on here... ---Cowboy

Do you think this one carried the 3-Rib long tank originally as a very early 1940?
Scott is the one to answer that question. The three-rib Zephyr tank was available in 1940 on the Huffman Special Model #51, and the Deluxe Special Model #41; I do not know what other models used that tank in 1940.

Back