When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Under Construction; 1961 Schwinn Mk IV Jaguar 5 speed.

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

Schwinndemonium

Finally riding a big boys bike
Here's a little project that I've been working on since last November. A 1961 Mk IV Jaguar 5 speed. I know that Schwinn never built such a creation, but they should have. I'm building this in such a way that Schwinn would have done this in the early to mid 1960's, with all the derailleur components from the same time period. I also know that Schwinn did build a middleweight bike with 5 speed gears-- the 1961-1962 Corvette 5 speed. I just got done restoring one of these last year, and I think the thing is a sweet running, smooth shifting bike. I want to go one step further. The big old tank in place, and the gear shifter moved up to the handlebar stem, and the added four reflector rack in the rear.

I am using an original 1961 Mk IV Jaguar three speed bike to do this project, and am not butchering my 5 speed Corvette to do this. The only thing I have to get custom made is I have to lace up the Atom (Sprint) 5 speed rear hub to my rear S-7 rim, before I can do any real permanent re assembly work after the repaint and clean up work of all the components are done, and ready to install.

I'm going to use 1966 Schwinn Sprint components,(hubs, and shifter), and a Schwinn Approved Huret Allvit derailleur.These parts came from a really rough 1966 violet Collegiate. I'm to the point where I'm just starting to paint the frame. Unlike this cut and paste picture, the bike I'm working with was, and will be again a Radiant Green bike, as this is an absolutely beautiful color. I just hope I can match the frame up to the tank, fork and chainguard. The original paint on the frame was scratched all to hell, so I'm trying to redo it using, of all things, Testor's basecoat silver, and Testor's candy Emerald green. This paint is darn near a perfect match for the old Schwinn "Radiant Green". Pete, of Hyperfomance does not make this color. I'm hoping to have this bike done by mid summer so I can ride it a little bit. I think it will really look neat when done!!

Jim.

Attachments

• Alternate Timeli&#11.jpg
    Alternate Timeli&#11.jpg
    222.4 KB · Views: 306
Last edited:
I like you approch---at rodbikenkustom.com they call it a "ghost restoration" or a bike the factory never built but should have.
Green is a really interesting color---when done right and I think schwinn really got it correct.

The pic i added shows a schwinn derailer---check it out close--I turned the hanger so it will fit a rear facing drop-out.This would let anyone that wanted to build a rod 5 speed from a prewar frame do so.

Keep us up on progress of the bike----sam

Attachments

• Bentley30001..jpg
    Bentley30001..jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 394
The project is slowly moving forward!

Last week, I just got done putting the last clearcoat on the frame, sealing inthe modified 5 speed Mk IV Jag decal. Also the rear wheel is now laced up , ready for me to re install the gear cluster freewheel. The modified chainguard graphic is done; it still needs clearcoat sealed yet. Here are some random pics of these parts.

Jim.

Attachments

• IMG_0792..JPG
    IMG_0792..JPG
    126.7 KB · Views: 200
  • IMG_0796..jpg
    IMG_0796..jpg
    106.8 KB · Views: 188
  • IMG_0785..jpg
    IMG_0785..jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 186
  • IMG_0795..jpg
    IMG_0795..jpg
    109.2 KB · Views: 174
The 5 speed Jag project is coming along nicely. Assembly is the most fun for me and cleaning the rust and grease is the worst part. It looks like all fun from here on for you. Great job Jim.

Nice Jim!!

Looking awesome! Can't wait to see the finished bike. Keep us updated.

Duane

Keeping whats old, new

Project basically finished

I just got done finishing this , after 8 months of frustrations, and triumphs, here it is, and it is rideable, and fully functional.

Jim

Attachments

• IMG_0870..JPG
    IMG_0870..JPG
    158.5 KB · Views: 200
  • IMG_0871..JPG
    IMG_0871..JPG
    139.7 KB · Views: 184
  • IMG_0866..JPG
    IMG_0866..JPG
    168.8 KB · Views: 192
  • IMG_0873..JPG
    IMG_0873..JPG
    171.2 KB · Views: 208
  • IMG_0865..JPG
    IMG_0865..JPG
    181.9 KB · Views: 219
More pics.

Here are some more pictures of the bike, including at least one of the LEFT side, and some detail pics.

Jim.

Attachments

• IMG_0868..JPG
    IMG_0868..JPG
    146.6 KB · Views: 166
  • IMG_0872..jpg
    IMG_0872..jpg
    79.4 KB · Views: 153
  • IMG_0874..jpg
    IMG_0874..jpg
    103.1 KB · Views: 162
  • IMG_0876..JPG
    IMG_0876..JPG
    131.6 KB · Views: 185
  • IMG_0877..JPG
    IMG_0877..JPG
    167.3 KB · Views: 161
Outstanding! Years ago I tried to graft Varsity derailleurs on an old Jaguar rat. Never did quite get the rear one to work. :( But yours not only looks great it makes the bike much more rideable. Very nice.

JWM

Back