When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Unidentified old bicycle.

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
Regarding the two brakes on the rear wheel,
I also believe that one of them (on the top of the rear wheel) is for the front wheel.

I will take the time to disassemble this bike.
And I will try to find some clues about this bike.

Thank you.

When the previous owner changed the handlebars, he may have changed it this way because he couldn't fit a rod brake.
That is my guess as well.

I will check the diameter of the cotter pin.
(It's 6:00am in Japan now, too early to start tinkering with the bike. My family would be pissed off with me.)

Thank you.

When the previous owner changed the handlebars, he may have changed it this way because he couldn't fit a rod brake.
That is my guess as well.

I will check the diameter of the cotter pin.
(It's 6:00am in Japan now, too early to start tinkering with the bike. My family would be pissed off with me.)
Mine too!

What I found today.

・Cotter pins are 9.5 mm in diameter.
8217F262-3720-4F21-BDBC-0ED5E5636F55.jpeg

∙ Fork crown appears to be nickel-plated. (not blue like stainless steel, but rather reddish).
E08D7F8A-F52D-41BF-8E29-FFFE6457DCAB.jpeg

∙ The freewheel is stamped 'STURMEY ARCHER GEARS LTD'.
F4F99CE8-A974-452C-B830-95153EDFB1B4.jpeg

・Front chainwheel is not stamped (both front and back).
4E99A345-F92C-4E0D-9912-FCAEB8665201.jpeg

81FD9F9A-1ACE-4710-B27F-20D522847406.jpeg

・The only markings on the outer fittings of the pedals are "MADE IN ENGLAND" (no manufacturer's name).
F55FF805-024C-4166-8D26-649348DEA3BF.jpeg

・Wheel size is 28 x 1 1/2 (700B).

E08D7F8A-F52D-41BF-8E29-FFFE6457DCAB.jpeg

F55FF805-024C-4166-8D26-649348DEA3BF.jpeg

-----

thank you for this update

fine detective work on your part

measurement of frame tube diameters would be another means of eliminating france as a possible origin

a cycle produced in britain will exhibit a top tube of 1" / 25.4mm, down and seat tubes of 1 1/8" / 28.6mm

a cycle produced in france, spain or switzerland where the metric standard is employed will exhibit a top tube of 26.0mm diameter, down and seat tubes of 28.0mm diameter

excellent to see this investigation moving forward

-----

What I found today.

・Cotter pins are 9.5 mm in diameter.
View attachment 1942495

∙ Fork crown appears to be nickel-plated. (not blue like stainless steel, but rather reddish).
View attachment 1942497

∙ The freewheel is stamped 'STURMEY ARCHER GEARS LTD'.
View attachment 1942498

・Front chainwheel is not stamped (both front and back).
View attachment 1942499

View attachment 1942500

・The only markings on the outer fittings of the pedals are "MADE IN ENGLAND" (no manufacturer's name).
View attachment 1942502

・Wheel size is 28 x 1 1/2 (700B).

View attachment 1942496

View attachment 1942501
Great information.
So I think it's safe to say it is definitely a British made bicycle.

The fact that you think the fork crown is Nickel plated helps with the date range for when it was manufactured.
Chrome plating replaced Nickel plating on brightwork parts around 1928/29, but some companies still offered Nickel plated parts in the 1930's as they used up pre-existing stocks of components.

'Sturmey Archer Gears Ltd' replaced 'Sturmey Archer Gear Co.' as the companies official name sometime around 1934; possibly a year or so earlier?

So, using these two facts, I think you could safely say that it's (probably) a mid1930's bicycle (if one assumes that is the original rear wheel).

Keep looking for markings on the bottom bracket if you can.

Last edited:
Thank you.

This Bicycle from the 1930s: ⁉︎
If it is such an old bicycle, I must repair this with great care and attention.

I thank you for your findings.

I will try to remove the bottom bracket soon.

I think this is a Raleigh from the 1930s. I also suspect the front end has been replaced. It looks to me like the fork and handlebars do not match the bike and the front brake has been moved to the rear. Here are a few photos from a 1930s Raleigh that show the seatstays bolted on and a brake mounted under the chainstays in the same manner as your bike. That, along with the pedals, and the rim on the rear wheel are the clues I am using.

Raleigh3.jpg

raleigh1.jpg

Back