When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Unknown crankset retention on a "Schuhof" frame

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

Michael_P

On Training Wheels
Hello all,

I was directed here from another forum as I have (as they described) a "very old and obscure German frame".
So in restoring the frame I need to get the cranks off and replace the old sprocket as it's bent over at 90 degrees.
IMG_20200817_162708.jpg

However I don't recognisr the way the cranks are retained on the shaft as it's different to every bike I own:
IMG_20200817_162747.jpg

This photo shows the dust cap removed, unlike other bikes the thread on the dust cap is internal rather than external.
And then the crank has a square hole to for a almost square shaft:
IMG_20200817_195358.jpg

So any help on what the "correct" method for getting the cranks of is much appreciated.
I did start to use a gear puller but the sprocket isn't very sturdy and started to bend.

Thank you all,

Michael Powell

To me it looks like some one tried to booger a square taper crank on some other kind of non tapered bottom bracket. Think putting Chevy parts in a Ford engine and wondering why it is not working. Roger

Nope, you have the dreaded German "Glockenlager". They tighten up, but have no internal treads for a puller. There is a tool for pulling them, but I have never seen an actual one. A steel bar is threaded for a typical crank puller bolt and is clamped on to the crankarm in two or three places. The Germans say to remove them, "Get a brave man with a big hammer. If that doesn't work, get a braver man with a bigger hammer!" Here is an entertaining youtube video that shows you the basics, and a German page showing a home made tool. Google translate will get you close, but Deepl.com is usually more comprehensible.

Last edited:
Evening, nothing more fun than an old dreaded German engineering. They know how to make things last!

Right, looks like a cold punch is the way to go then. Might heat the crank up to, loosen it up a smidge before I start the hammering.
I appreciate the time guys!

Michael Powell

Thank you all for the assistance, I can confirm I have got the cranks off. Took a cold chisel, a lump hammer and some hefty hitting. But it's off. Going to stick a cottered crank on since I have it laying about.
IMG_20200820_172343.jpg

Thank you all for the assistance!

Back