When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Unknown early Campagnolo Black barrel Hub

-
-----

posted a link to this discussion over at BF and within a few minutes got a response from the foremost authority there on Italian fittings of this era

he wrote that it was obvious to him that the chrome had failed and someone went at the loose plating with a wire brush/wheel

this assessment fits right in with the heavy scratch marks visible in your excellent pictures on the alloy flanges

those marks are far too heavy/numerous to be ascribed to "normal wear and tear"

absence of Campag markings on the axle parts is likely due to the whole axle set being replaced by the wielder of the wire brush/wheel

since you will not be disassembling it reckon it shall simply remain an oddity

-----
I have another possible extension for the "BF" acronym. I know nothing about this Campy hub ID, but if info came from there from an "expert," I'd take it with salt.
I've seen you over there in the same capacity as here and I appreciate that. But there are people over there that are.... Hmmm... Lost in the minutia of self?... Shall we say?
MANY of them. A controlling minority of self absorbed clowns.....
Ok, enuf.

These are the three piece hubs that really get my juices flowing.View attachment 1691080
They were actually considered to be a lesser offering from FB/Campagnolo, but I always thought they looked beautiful with that chrome axle housing and those perforated aluminum flanges.
These were top high end hubs from FB/Campagnolo till the introduction of Campagnolo Record hubset in 1958

-----

posted a link to this discussion over at BF and within a few minutes got a response from the foremost authority there on Italian fittings of this era

he wrote that it was obvious to him that the chrome had failed and someone went at the loose plating with a wire brush/wheel

this assessment fits right in with the heavy scratch marks visible in your excellent pictures on the alloy flanges

those marks are far too heavy/numerous to be ascribed to "normal wear and tear"

absence of Campag markings on the axle parts is likely due to the whole axle set being replaced by the wielder of the wire brush/wheel

since you will not be disassembling it reckon it shall simply remain an oddity

-----
you are right. I've seen dozens of 3 piece Campagnolo hubs which have been heavily "clean" with wire brush or similar.

Back