When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Unknown Hercules Lightweight

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

velo-vecchio

Finally riding a big boys bike
I have an unknown Hercules with a headbadge I've never seen before. Have a look and let me know if you have any ideas. This bike has a mix of parts. Rear hub is ND Model D. Has Hercules chainring, Super Jet grips and Dunlop-Cambridge saddle. The lugs resemble a Hercules Royal Prince I saw on eBay. I appreciate you looking.

Last edited by a moderator:
The headbadge should look like this.....

It's missing the centre plaque which was celluloid I think.
It's quite common to find them in that condition.
I would think it dates from the 1950s or later judging by the chrome fork crown cover.
Some side view photos would possibly help with identification.
I can't imagine that the ND model D hub in conjunction with sprint rims and tubs is an original fitment.
Likewise the bar system combo, but difficult to say without better photos.

I agree it has been parted together. The original wheels would have been English pattern with English hubs. It looks like the old-style "Hercules" chain ring. Red frame with white fenders was one indicator of a Canadian market bike. Better pictures will help. The lugs are not much a help with specific dates because they used those oval lugs for quite awhile.

Lucky "7",style seat pin is certainly pre war. Could be original , if 26.4 mm(?) hercules frame size. Fork not drilled for caliper brake. Interesting bike, better/more pictures would be good! Many bicycles shipped from England to USA during 1939-40. Helped offset cost of food and war supplies from America. God please bless and protect our two great nations now, as then, and forever!!

this photo is likely of zero value. There’s a 2-digit etching (or maybe is just a scratch) that I can’t make out. No serial number present under bb.

1930s - 40s would be my guess. The gallows seat post was used after the war as well for a few years, but it does look pre-1950s to me. Perhaps it was always a single speed with coaster brake, though they would have used something like an Eadie or Perry or similar English coaster and Hercules rims. I used to own a 1946 Hercules Model C with a very similar frame and coaster brake, though mine had front rod brake as well.

20170218_155722.jpg

Mine originally had a Perry single speed coaster with 10/1946 date code on the arm, though I later retrofitted it with a Sturmey 3-speed coaster to make it a little better on hills. I later sold it and bought in its place a Phillips with 28 inch wheels.

I think yours might be a little earlier with the old-style chain ring and that set up.

1930s - 40s would be my guess. The gallows seat post was used after the war as well for a few years, but it does look pre-1950s to me. Perhaps it was always a single speed with coaster brake, though they would have used something like an Eadie or Perry or similar English coaster and Hercules rims. I used to own a 1946 Hercules Model C with a very similar frame and coaster brake, though mine had front rod brake as well.

View attachment 1339714

Mine originally had a Perry single speed coaster with 10/1946 date code on the arm, though I later retrofitted it with a Sturmey 3-speed coaster to make it a little better on hills. I later sold it and bought in its place a Phillips with 28 inch wheels.

I think yours might be a little earlier with the old-style chain ring and that set up.
That all jives with what I am seeing and thinking. At some point this had all British parts. As I was cleaning it up I noticed an interesting detail on the fork dropout. Left side has a “C” contour to receive wheel spindle and keep in place. Also I haven’t measured but these Model D hubs are the right (short) width to fit the spacing. So I can see why they were used.

other than that it’s a pretty straightforward frame with not many details.

I have a pre-war (I think) Hercules similar to yours posted here:
And comparing the two bikes, your fenders look like they're probably original, but the fender stays are a style I haven't seen before. If they're original, they may give a clue to the age. Can we get some close-ups of the attachments to the fenders?

Back