When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Unknown skirt posted on fb Marketplace: fellow asking what it is...

-

juanitasmith13

Wore out three sets of tires already!
I found the sprocket in our forum about chainwheels; Page 2, post 32, photo 7... unknown ca 1894??? This a girl's bike (gone with the wind style); appears to have a more modern front 'steel' rim,can't tell about rear badge is aluminum oval, unreadable. Attached photo is the best clue to: What is it?

I found the sprocket in our forum about chainwheels; Page 2, post 32, photo 7... unknown ca 1894??? This a girl's bike (gone with the wind style); appears to have a more modern front 'steel' rim,can't tell about rear badge is aluminum oval, unreadable. Attached photo is the best clue to: What is it?View attachment 1116052
Did you post the correct image? Your post makes no sense with this photo?

Appears to me to be a WW2 era reconditioned bike using 50 year-old frame... as in scarcity (rationed) gas and tires for the cars; no new bikes for sale, how the bike-shops survived, and folks did groceries, drugs, post-office. Count the late 30s early 40s parts (handle bars (?), seat(?) stem, pedals, kickstand, maybe fork(?); where-as, rear wheel appears steel clad wood with "black"

brake housing spoked in... do not have view of brake arm; and the front rim a deep drop-center chrome rim.....

notice head badge screws

Still, first photo enlarged; the way seat is fastened...……. So, what WAS
@juanitasmith13

Hey, young man … appears as tho' someone re-worked
the seat-post cluster … may have eliminated it, entirely ...
and modified the saddle chassis to bring the saddle
closer to the ground.

That antique frame appears to be a fairly-tall one … right
from the factory.

….. patric

I noticed on your post "since 1947"; I'm a 1948 model ?does that make me a young man? Thanx for your "tall" observation; I knew the seat was old, but felt it was not as old as the frame.

The headbadge looks like a hand stamped property tag/ID number to me-only held on with one screw. I agree the bike looks refurbished to use until something better came along, and the seat dropped . I'm thinking more a Depression era rebuild for a truly hardscrabble operation. A war production plant would have priority to get one if they really needed a bike.

Back