When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Unknown Wheelman Badged Racer ca. 1900

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

Jesse McCauley

McCauley Cycle Works
Some of you may have seen this bike, it came up and was sold a couple times on Facebook before I managed to bring it into the proper bicycle market.

Holt's Lake is in NC, I don't know of any other references to Holt's Lake but I'm open to ideas.

Bottom bracket has some Iver Johnson qualities perhaps?

My best guess? Maybe a LAW commissioned bike? Maybeee a prize bike? Other thoughts?

The "No. 5292" confuses me, thats a big number for such an obscure bike/badge.

d17cbb29784a329c2771c3827fd54b3c.jpg

7fceab799c0869085e17c141f0ae32bd.jpg

c27cbeb84e3fb48de5a2d0e612f7d0b5.jpg

026e30141a19a88f76b8374acbde1e15.jpg

72e2bb23306156743970fd97cb43782e.jpg

4c37f2ab5ddb17c12fac74dc5088aaf4.jpg

1a61ab2f8f9754883c3b4b43f971419a.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So I called the frame a racer for no other reason than the size of the Chainwheel but is that innapropes?

Based on the fit and aging I would wager this is the original bottom bracket / crankset hardware.

I don't think I would want to cruise around town geared to this Chainwheel but maybe they were just harder in 1900.

The badge could be a custom, as were many LAW badges, some had owner names on them. This badge doesn't look original to me, meaning, it's been cleaned or removed or both. Could have come from a whole different bike and put on this one by the same owner when they got a different bike.

The chain ring is just one of many sizes available at the time, they came larger too, not necessarily a racer.

Is this the same bike?

https://thecabe.com/forum/threads/what-is-it-help-please.111286/#post-734137

It's not "Holt's Lake", it's Holt's "Lake Bearing" Special, i.e., the Lake Anti-Friction Bearing.

Yep it's the same one, I didn't know there was a thread open on it already! It was pretty exposed on Facebook but the owner got a bunch of b/s and low ball offers.

I made an offer with the benefit of picking it up in person and I got the bike.

The badge could be a custom, as were many LAW badges, some had owner names on them. This badge doesn't look original to me, meaning, it's been cleaned or removed or both. Could have come from a whole different bike and put on this one by the same owner when they got a different bike.

The chain ring is just one of many sizes available at the time, they came larger too, not necessarily a racer.

The badge has been tampered with, there was some secondary text that was removed long enough ago that the badge has aged evenly-

I suspect though that this badge and bike have been together since 1900, there is a 3rd outlier badge hole behind the badge but it is off center to the other two, Almost looks like a miss-drilling.

It does seem likely the badge and bike have nothing to do with one another aside from the life-story of the original Wheelman rider.

Back