When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Unreal

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
shifty

They do it to avoid paying fees to ebay. Ebay gets a percentage of what the item sells for, they get nothing from the shipping charge.

That's a clever idea I had not thought about in all my ebay years, but ebay does now charge a percentage of shipping...but i do not think it is the same cut as on the ending price.
Maybe someone shows up at the winning bidder's house with white gloves and installs it in his (or her) phantom canti tank?
Chris

I have not sold anything in years on EBAY, but it seems to me that there use to be a rule stating that the seller could not make up for a low selling price by an inflating the shipping cost. But then again most people do not pay much attention to rules anymore.

JimK

Actually Ebay now gets the same percentage for the item and shipping combined. Regarding inflated shipping costs if this is reported to Ebay they will more than likely force the seller to either revise shipping or pull the item. Evertime someone finds a loophole Ebay finds a way to close it. I am seriously cutting back on both my buying and selling on Ebay due to their practices. v/r Shawn

Yes, I've seen this done on other non-bike items. Sometimes the shipping quoted was even more ridiculous than for this item. Sellers repeatedly caught doing this run the risk of having their ebay account terminated.

Dave

This is a pretty common practice with small electronics. The seller can list an item with a really low opening bid so it appears he's selling his item for less than his competition. With the high shipping cost they're guaranteed to get their price without having to resort to using a reserve.
"99 cents WITH NO RESERVE" catches shoppers attention especially if you do a search on one particular product. You just have to make sure you calculate shipping into the total cost. It is irritating

Last edited:
They do it to avoid paying fees to ebay. Ebay gets a percentage of what the item sells for, they get nothing from the shipping charge.

GOT NEWS FOR ALL OF YOU! It is because of people like this that ebay now charges sellers the final value fee based on the TOTAL price, INCLUDING shipping. The only people to suffer are the honest sellers like me.

Back