When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Unusual elliptical chain ring

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
It came off of a heavy 10 speed frame I found in a junkyard 30 years ago, with TA aluminum cranks attached, so probably 1960s to 1970s.

I have one similar to the Durham, but with a double chainring. Since I don't even like Biopace rings I haven't put it on a bike. I have thought about turning it into a clock.
View attachment 1069693

-----

Thanks very much!

Looks to be the 50.4mm BCD.

Interesting that the maker provides the user with the option of two different mounting positions.

-----

I noticed that too. One seems to be marked "15" with a numeral one as an arrow, and the other "CR". I have no idea what that means.

-----

These two-plateau models make me jaw drop.

Can no imagine watching a front mech attempting to do its job... :eek:

A bit like asking Bambi to herd Godzilla.

-----

Last edited:
I think you would have to very careful when you made the change! Mine has a LOT more wear marks on the big ring than the smaller, 36 tooth ring.

Anyone have a pic of Mel Shorts bike with the Triangular ring?
Hannah Simpson has one as well, killer bikes with the offset from center rear cog to compensate. Crazee stuff

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

-----

Found this image of a Durham two-plateau arrangement with a drilling for the 86mm BCD.

Look at the wylde adaptation for a front mech! :dizzy:

Durham elliptical w:86mm BCD  .jpg

-----

Back