When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Unusual elliptical chain ring

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
Interesting. There was some interest in elliptical/out of round chain rings in the early 1980s, I recall one woman member of my club said they helped to eliminate knee discomfort. IIRC people found out they could not be used with a derailleur and their benefits were "greatly exaggerated".

My 1893 Columbia had an elliptical sprocket and yes back in my racing days in the 1980s we had Bio-pace elliptical sprockets . 1951 C.W.S they supposedly give you a mechanical lever action advantage over a round chain ring - I found the messed up my perfect circles in a sprint

-----

Here upon the puddle's occidental margin we have had some aftermarket non-round chainwheels offered from time to time.

One recalled from the mid to late seventies era was the Durham. For several years there each time an enthusiast opened a cycling periodical there would be a mailorder advert from Durham.

Theirs were done in dural. One problem for these cottage industry operations was the decision as to what drillings to offer. Since they were done on a small scale more than one drilling option would shoot up the overhead...

Here are two models of Durham's from BITD -

for three-arm 116mm BCD:

for five-arm 144mm BCD chainsets:

Durham Elliptical c:w 144mm BCD, five-arm  .jpg

-----

My friend is in the process of fitting it to a bare steel '30s Hercules sports bike, I'll post pictures when I have them.
I came across a few of those 'Durham' chainrings @juvela, whilst searching for info on the Elan example.
Interesting that this idea keeps recurring through the ages. As @bikejunk implies above, a probably very sound idea on paper that proves less so in actual use,
By the way @bikejunk, do you have any photos of the version in your 1893 Columbia?
I'd like to see that.

I had a similar skip tooth sprocket years ago---sold it on Ebay. Someone here on the Cabe bought it- because they posted a picture of it . It was called a "Rock-o-Matic Rocket Sprocket, circa the 1940s. " Maybe they will see this and repost or maybe someone will look it up.
God Bless,---Cowboy

Back