When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Unusual Front Fender Braces - Thoughts

-

cr250mark

Cruisin' on my Bluebird
Are these Braces original to this Zenith
And if so what is their purpose.
Just posted this Zenith in Complete bicycles for. Sale.

37A0C7FE-4FEA-43F2-B6D1-65C62085D8AD.jpeg

31F67D40-CD6A-43BA-A025-B9C5FF5C10D6.jpeg

1DF88212-6CE3-406C-9FC4-79450424C7B2.jpeg

FFA4D437-2ABE-410D-9408-551A2439E2B9.jpeg

99779CB8-44C6-432D-A176-FFD843C4F37E.jpeg

Replaced. It Looks like they were not correct for the bike so they were Bent to fit correctly. No other purpose that I can see.

Not sure if this is the case
Flat braces are perfect match to rear.
Bends are same with no stress in metal
They are pinned exactly the same as rear and look untouched.
After reviewing these originally is what raised the question

my guess : original braces were bent so that the fender didn't rub on the down tube (notice how the nose of the fender is kicked up from the tire)
my diagnosis : bent fork or bent head tube due to a front end impact !!!
my prescription : unbend head tube or fork and fix the braces

do you have a good straight on side shot of the bicycle?

fix_LI.jpg

Last edited:
Gotta agree. Bent forks. Bent braces for clearance. Encountered very similar situation on a 28" with braces just bent out to a bow to accommodate for bent fork. Someone here just got a little more creative.

what is their purpose?
The braces are like "arms" (the word comes from Latin).
Their purpose is to support, or to reach-out (like an arm) and provide 'bracing' to the fender, kind of like a 3-point triangle between the fender top attachment to the fork crown (1), the axle (2), and the fender bottom (3); the 3 sides of the triangle are (1) the fork, (2) the fender itself, (3) the fender brace. The triangle is an efficient and strong mechanical design.

Last edited:
Back