When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Unusual "made in usa" hub on a 1962 American

-
I won’t be spreading rumors of who I think made that hub until I find out for sure, but I do believe it was union. Do you happen to know when they opened the plant here in the US and are they still here in the US producing bike parts today?
No, I really have not paid much attention to the bicycle industry since 1997, when I went into the motorcycle industry until I retired.

I think when you research it. Union came in well after the 1970's dates we have been talking about. They surely did not make "welded" two piece stamped Deluxe hubs in this country. Too much tooling to cover the small volume of hubs Schwinn needed. It was just easier to take a hub they already produced and roll the Schwinn approved logo on it.

Just this guys clouded opinion.

John

Schwinn built their hubs and axles. They made their bearings and races also. Over their existence they made many of the main parts on their bikes. There was an article at the time when they started making ball bearings and I should have archived it.

These don't include all the hubs and parts they made for the Paramount.

Schwinn-Built

1948_schwinn_3.jpg

1948_schwinn_10.jpg

Schwinn-Built
1948_schwinn_11.jpg

1948_schwinn_12.jpg
Thanks! That accounts for the early bits. I believe the Paramount track hubs were Airlite.

Back