Upside down bikes

This ad disappears when logged in

Dizzle Problems

Finally riding a big boys bike
Feb 5, 2017
Ventura Ca
When I built mu first tallbike about ten years back, I had a few guys older then me stop me and say they used to make them by flipping their bikes upside down and welding pipes on them, like in the picture here. They claimed the 70s though. This obviously predates that. I think this pic was posted in the thread discussing butterfly bars. Seems to be the exaggeration of the long (cycle truck style) stem and butterfly bar trend of the late 50s.

Mr. Monkeyarms

Wore out three sets of tires already!
Oct 30, 2018
Colorado
That long stem "engineering" looks crazy dangerous! (But more danger equals more fun!:)) I like that the dude in the right has a fore brake, but not hooked up yet, and they are in front of a welding/blacksmith shop. Looks like fairly fresh welding on the frames. Maybe this was their test ride!
:cool::cool:

bulldog1935

Cruisin' on my Bluebird
Jan 21, 2013
Bulverde, TX
I can see climbing up on something to start this, but every dismount looks like an emergency.

cyclingday

Riding a '38 Autocycle Deluxe
Feb 24, 2008
Costa Mesa, California. United States
We used to do that with Tricycles.
Then Marx caught on, and made the Big Wheel.
The rest is history.

RUDY CONTRATTI

Wore out three sets of tires already!
Mar 17, 2014
San Anselmo, United States
Looks Southern Cal style to me,they always set standards back in the day,Early to mid sixties,,they were on there way to the local hardware store to get a cable long enough for the front fore arm brake

GTs58

I'm the Wiz, and nobody beats me!
Sep 2, 2012
Central Arizona
If you grew up in the 50's and 60's you would have seen these. My friend built one, mid 60's, and it was fun to ride but extra "skill-effort" was needed to mount and dismount. And we didn't wear helmets! :eek:

3-speeder

Dec 26, 2017
Lansing, MI, United States
Is that a Coors beer sign behind the kid on the left? Has to be west of the Rockies. I don't think Coors was widely available back then.

Mark Johnston

Apr 16, 2017
Phoenix
Saw quite a few of these in Phoenix during the 70’s. I’ve always meant to build one, just never got around to it.

morton

I live for the CABE
Nov 9, 2007
York, United States
Just to add a bit more daring, it looks like the kid on the left also removed what would have been the top tube!

Nevermind...............just noticed it is a step thru frame.....mybad.

1549791861410.png

This ad disappears when logged in
Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture