When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Upside down bikes

-
Just to add a bit more daring, it looks like the kid on the left also removed what would have been the top tube!

Nevermind...............just noticed it is a step thru frame.....mybad.

1549791861410.png

This is pretty awesome. To me the stem would be strong enough.... It's the weld to the bottom bracket that i would be concerned about.

Back in the 1970's I found one of those bikes between two garages. My friend and I were searching for old bicycles by walking up and down alleyways. We thougt it was pretty cool. It was a challenge to get going from a dead stop. We helped each other by holding the bike up while the other one got going. Great memories! Thank you very much for posting the photos!

This is pretty awesome. To me the stem would be strong enough.... It's the weld to the bottom bracket that i would be concerned about.
The only welding on mine was the seat post being welded on. They used the same bottom bracket, just flipped over the bike.

I recall seeing bikes like these in community parades, usually ridden by performers dressed in clown costumes.
(Or they could have been real clowns).
Maybe just another form of a clown bike?
Definitely not an improvement to the “safety” bicycle frame.

Last edited:
I made a tall bike in the 60s...about 67 I'm thinking. I just got an oxy/acetylene set so I brazed everything. I used a 3 speed 26" boys bike, cut up 3 old bikes. The front was 3 forks in series. Back I made out of pipe. I used 2 chains + part of another.
I rattle can painted it candy purple, high rise handlebars and a green banana seat.[emoji21]
It had a coaster brake, front caliper and I put another caliper where I took kickstand off for rear wheel.
It got lots of attention especially from girls (one my wife now).
It wasn't hard to dismount, pick a good level spot and when almost stopped let it tilt over. I'd start off getting up on something tall, a fence, wall, etc.
Wife and I were riding bikes years ago in an upscale part of town, I was on that bike. Cars blew horns, people laughing. One car pulled over, a guy got out..."Where did you get that...that's what I need!". He was every bit of 6'9". I showed him it really wouldn't help, he needed long crank to seat length.

Sent from my SM-S320VL using Tapatalk

Back