When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Urich bike tire tool?

-

Jesper

Wore out three sets of tires already!
Picked this up as an oddity for a couple dollars. I was informed that it was a bicycle repair tool. It has a patent date of Aug. 1919; apparently nickeel plated at some point.Not sure how it works. A couple on ebay for $15-$30 say it is a tire repair tool. I can only assume it works like one of those car tire plug repair tools, but I can't figure out what purpose the small lever/hook piece serves. The end is forked/slotted.

I'm curious if back in those days, if plugged with just regular rubber bands slathered in rubber cement or if the tool kit came with special vulcanized rubber bands. The modern equivalent is tool kit with vulcanized rubber strips (aka bacon strips) for tubeless setup that just plug in with tool pushing strip in folded, see pics. One of these days I'll use regular rubber bands slathered in rubber cement to see if it holds.

I'm curious if back in those days, if plugged with just regular rubber bands slathered in rubber cement or if the tool kit came with special vulcanized rubber bands. The modern equivalent is tool kit with vulcanized rubber strips (aka bacon strips) for tubeless setup that just plug in with tool pushing strip in folded, see pics. One of these days I'll use regular rubber bands slathered in rubber cement to see if it holds.
View attachment 1553137

View attachment 1553138
Does the modern version also rely on there being a tubeless sealant within the tyre?

Yes I believe so. The plug is good for bigger punctures that the sealant can't handle. Once it plugged in, the sealant will seal any remaining air gaps. But I think it will still hold even after the juice dries up evaporates inside the tire. Once the air gaps have sealed, my tubeless will hold air even after juice dries up.

Back