When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Use your bike stand as a wheel stand

-

bikemonkey

I live for the CABE
I (once again) began the drudgery of cleaning the rusty steel rim beds from an old Schwinn with a drill and wire brush wheel. Trying to hold the wheel between my legs and keeping the spinning wire brush in the rim bed is a PITA and gets old very quick. The drill likes to hop out of the rim bed and go for meat and the rust dust is right in your face. It is my least favorite part of a deep clean but all part of the show. At some point yesterday in my contemplation of the task at hand, it occurred to me to clamp the wheel in my Park work stand.

Keep in mind I have been in the bicycle business off and on since the mid 70s in a number of shops as well as the wholesale end, and I have never heard of this simple shop tip. It works great and being able to rotate it across its axis is a bonus. It also made the cleaning of the hub a lot easier rather than having it slide around my work bench while prying out the dust caps, etc.

It only took me a few decades to evolve to this method but I never claimed to be the sharpest tool in the shed...

PXL_20220228_200313681.jpg

wheel.jpg

PXL_20220228_200329710.MP.jpg

PXL_20220228_200342391.jpg

Last edited:
That just gave me an idea on how to make it even easier and faster! Cleaning wheels has to be one of my most unfavorite things when refurbing a bike. I wonder how well this will work. Flip the bike over like we did as kids, remove the wheels, take off the tires, remount the wheels, clamp the drill in the bike stand, slide the stand with drill up to the wheel, then turn on the drill and slowly spin the wheel while you sip your coffee and smoke a cigarette. 🤪

That just gave me an idea on how to make it even easier and faster! Cleaning wheels has to be one of my most unfavorite things when refurbing a bike. I wonder how well this will work. Flip the bike over like we did as kids, remove the wheels, take off the tires, remount the wheels, clamp the drill in the bike stand, slide the stand with drill up to the wheel, then turn on the drill and slowly spin the wheel while you sip your coffee and smoke a cigarette. 🤪
Hey GT! Let’s see some of your bikes!?

I've been going thru your posts looking for the measurements you did on the 1946 drop out thickness. Found this post but still looking for the measurements. lol
Here's my oldest Schwinn. 1941 original paint hanging in the stand.

View attachment 1605974
Good evening!
Wow! That bike is beautiful!! Hard to believe that there’s a prewar cantilever with original paint that looks that amazing!
I’ll see if I can measure out my 46 for ya tomorrow!

Back