When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Using Mix- Matched Parts...let's See'em

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

the tinker

Cruisin' on my Bluebird
Got this old Rollfast frame, I need the chain ring and truss rods for another bike. What to do with these miss- matched extra parts? Sell'em?.......no. Lets have some fun! Show your mixed parts bikes..
Here is the start of mine, let;s see yours.;)
002.JPG
001.JPG
Long before "Rat Rods" back in the day kids [like me] would put together what ever they could salvage or find to have a bike.
It was for many kids, that or no bike at all.:(

Started working on the "mixed parts" bike. Removed the super nice crank , chain ring and truss rods and installed on future Rollfast project.
007.JPG

Replaced the Rollfast crank and chain ring and will install the post war girl's Shelby fork.The head tube on the pre-war Rollfast is shorter then post-war boy's bikes. Since the Shelby fork is off a girl's bike it will have to be shortened.
The issue is NOT to chop it down the exact measurement required for the pre-war Rollfast frame. I will cut it down to fit a post war boy's Shelby frame instead.....so in the future this fork will work on a post-war boy's bike if ever so desired.After being cut down and re threaded it will still be too long for the pre-war Rollfast frame. The overage will be taken up by installing deeper headset hardware and extra lock washers if needed.
008.JPG

Notice the amount of the fork tube protruding above the head tube to be removed in photo above.
010.JPG

Took a break and ate some cheese I was aging from 2013...really good, .....Oh yeah ,the bike...where was I ??
005.JPG
Next a little "threading down". Shelby Co. ran the fork's key -way longer then necessary so the key-way slot will not have to be lengthened.
004.JPG

Finally, cut off excess using nut as guide......I selected deeper head-set hardware to cover the excess thread amount....maybe a couple washers too...Now this springer's future use won't be restricted to a pre-war bike.
006.JPG

Next up : re-painting the Shelby springer to match this tired old frame......
It's evening now. Springer has been cut down; threaded and gotten a coat of black paint. Time to install.
007.JPG

Last edited:
There always was one street-rodder who could afford the Terraplane pickup body; Cadillac engine; and, the LaSalle gearbox/Lincoln rear end... while the rest of us had to settle for Chevrolet/Ford/ and Plymouth parts! BUT, I like the two speed and the electrical plant very much, also the stand, tool-box seat, and stem. Beautiful build! Catfish...

There always was one street-rodder who could afford the Terraplane pickup body; Cadillac engine; and, the LaSalle gearbox/Lincoln rear end... while the rest of us had to settle for Chevrolet/Ford/ and Plymouth parts! BUT, I like the two speed and the electrical plant very much, also the stand, tool-box seat, and stem. Beautiful build! Catfish...

Thanks. Took a long time to find all the parts. I'm very proud of it. Catfish

Back