When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Varsities In Ukraine

-
Makes you wonder what's the story, there can't be many '70's Varsities in the Ukraine. Maybe a high ranking party official had a secret Schwinn fetish? Come to think of it, there had to be bicycles in the USSR, but I've never heard of any. Considering some of the other consumer goods produced under the Soviets....

-----

one possibility might be that they were the leavings of a U.S. embassy staffer who was rotated to another posting and did not wish to ship them...

unfortunately neither machine wears a shop transfer

would be fun if they exhibited one reading something such as "Boris' Bikes of Kiev"

---

wrt Soviet marques -

one which comes up fairly often on fora as both a cycle name and a fittings name is the XB3/X3B marque

there was a factory in Ukraine for these during Soviet times

-----

Last edited:
-----

one possibility might be that they were the leavings of a U.S. embassy staffer who was rotated to another posting and did not wish to ship them...

would be fun if they exhibited one reading something such as "Boris' Bikes of Kiev"

---

wrt Soviet marques -

one which comes up fairly often on fora as both a cycle name and a fittings name is the XB3/X3B marque

-----
Interesting reading, thanks for posting!

-----

forgot to mention -

forum member @Bikerider007 owns a Soviet track machine

if recollect correctly it is in some way exotic - may have a titanium frame

do not recall if he has posted regarding it...

-----

Last edited:
Makes you wonder what's the story, there can't be many '70's Varsities in the Ukraine. Maybe a high ranking party official had a secret Schwinn fetish? Come to think of it, there had to be bicycles in the USSR, but I've never heard of any. Considering some of the other consumer goods produced under the Soviets....

-----

---

wrt Soviet marques -

-----

I, quite frankly, lust after soviet era track racing bicycles.
'HVZ' and 'Takhion' are brands that I can only dream of!
I am the current custodian of an 'RVR Riga' roadster from 1957. A fairly standard european style roadster, single speed, rear coaster hub brake; think 1950's British style, semi-drop bars, but a little heavier.
Here's the owners manual cover....
20210722_180554.jpg

...RVR Riga were Latvian, and subsequently, post WW2, one of the largest Soviet era cycle manufacturers.
It's currently stripped down awaiting wheel rebuilds. It came off of a Russian container ship into the port of Hull in the east of England and it's a little patinated; just how I like them , lol!

If anyone else comes across a Russian, or Soviet bloc bicycle, or is just interested, this is the go to website for information, images and manuals.
It is an excellent resource and is available in English too.....

Last edited:
-----

member @Bikerider007 has shown me images of his example; the marques mentioned twig a memory

you could send him a pm to ask anent his example

might take a spell for a response as he visits the forum only intermittantly...

-----

The biggest problem for the USSR was keeping the Comrades from escaping. They made bikes so they could ride to the boarder? Most bike rides would have been frosty? Maybe they had a Varsity to copy it.
The Chinese copied the Japanese occupation bikes until Giant made modern models for us. When I was in China they had football size parking lots crammed with bikes that looked all alike. Steal one and they hunt you down and this is a country that has too many people. You must prove your innocence in court. Being dim-witted is dangerous. An old man ran into me while I was crossing a road and I held up his bike and his frail body. He looked at me like I was from other space. Giant, valuable, foreigner was damaged by him? He wanted to melt. It was like getting hit by a lief.

Last edited:
Although down south, by the Black Sea it's pretty hot in the Summer months.

I, quite frankly, lust after soviet era track racing bicycles.
'HVZ' and 'Takhion' are brands that I can only dream of!
I am the current custodian of an 'RVR Riga' roadster from 1957. A fairly standard european style roadster, single speed, rear coaster hub brake; think 1950's British style, semi-drop bars, but a little heavier.
Here's the owners manual cover....
View attachment 1450263

...RVR Riga were Latvian, and subsequently, post WW2, one of the largest Soviet era cycle manufacturers.
It's currently stripped down awaiting wheel rebuilds. It came off of a Russian container ship into the port of Hull in the east of England and it's a little patinated; just how I like them , lol!

If anyone else comes across a Russian, or Soviet bloc bicycle, or is just interested, this is the go to website for information, images and manuals.
It is an excellent resource and is available in English too.....

Looks like a Raleigh to me. They would use the tubes to carry their booze.

Back