When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

varsity derailers

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

hotrod

Finally riding a big boys bike
could anyone tell me what derailers are correct for a 1974 schwinn varsiyty? i resently bought a varsity at an auction. that has shimmono eagle rear derailer and shimmono gto front derailer. not sure if these are correct. they do not say schwinn approved.

Those are not the factory deraileurs but they are about the same quality, age and probably work just fine. It isn't worth the money to go nuts restoring a Varsity. Good bike to own and ride and those will allow you to do that. Roger

could anyone tell me what derailers are correct for a 1974 schwinn varsiyty?

The original derailleurs on a '74 Varsity were normally a Huret-built Schwinn Approved (no designation) rear and a Schwinn Approved GT-250 front, however due to shortages the Shimano-built Schwinn Approved GT-120 was also sometimes used on the rear and the GT-150 on the front. In fact the GT-150 was a Schwinn branded version of the Shimano Thunderbird GTO you have now.

Unless the rest of the bike is mint I agree that it isn't worth replacing the derailleurs you have now.

I did have a Dec 1970 Varsity getting parted, but both derailleurs were shot.

Any vintage 1970s-80s roadbike in mint condition is $100-$130 bucks here unless it's European or Japanese. Don't go nuts rebuilding it.

Back