When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Vaseline as a protection

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
I also love linseed oil. and have used it on wood / metal / and leather. One downside, is it might not be well suited for humid climates as It can encourage mold growth.

Vaseline I believe is basically mineral oil and paraffin wax. It would not be great to use on painted or glued services that it will penetrate into and it will loosen the adhesive. I have used it on wood but some people do not even recommend that, (I do not have a problem myself using it on unfinished wood, but would not use in on anything that is laminated as it will eventually cause issues with the glue). I have experienced no issues using it on bare metal, and then polishing it off particularity with Iron.

On painted bike frames, after they are cleaned up I wipe them down with lemon pledge and a old t-shirt after every ride. (In the summer time I hose them off first and hang them up on a cloths line to dry, in winter that extra step is not always possible). I have frames that were purchased new in the 90's, that still look fantastic today.

I posted this photo on Sunday in another forum here, after cleaning up the pick in the middle Vaseline was used on the iron and polished off. I also used it on the wood wedge as a lubricant that was inserted and driven down the center of the shaft, as it will be absorbed and cause expansion where it is needed.

1547578296382.png

Vaseline does have practical uses, one success story is my picnic table that came with the house nearly 10 years ago. It has got a few applications from Vaseline over the years, (Not every Year) and still survives un-rotted to this day.

I also once read a story of a guy who has a vintage sea worthy sailboat who swears by it. and said he applies it once a year to his decks and mast. (The jury is out. just as many people if not more hate it for some reason or other, than like it).

While researching the subject myself I have run across all sorts of weird claims that I do not find viable. One such claim is it will ruin and rust you knives. Its not going to rust anything.

Last edited:
I stick with Meguiar's products after being coached up by one of the curators of the National Auto Museum. Meguiar's #7 is fantastic at providing shine and is gentle on paint. The cleaner/wax is a good all-around wax that also removes oxidation. It's also remove "dead" paint so if your pinstriping is heading south, be gentle. Otherwise, it's tough to beat.

Im not fond of waxing my bikes for two reasons
1-wax wipes away pinstripes
2-white residue after waxing

Has anybody used Vaseline on frame and forks ?
Am I going to ruin paint or any suggestions

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Once I got an old bike that had a set of coke-bottle grips. I Vaselined them and let set for a couple of months. They're still good to use! About doing this on frame or fork, never heard of that...good luck. Charles

Well here is my dumb ass use for Vaseline when I was a kid. When I was 20 years old I had a nice 1970 Chevelle SS 396. I had no inside storage for the winter that year. I had to let the car sit outside covered up. I had a bright idea to protect the Cragar SS chrome wheels from rust. I smeared Vaseline all over them for winter protection. Well, in the spring it took me a a day to clean the Vaseline off EACH wheel. While doing so all those strange cuss run on words I used to hear my father say came spilling out of me. I guess I am trying to say do not use Vaseline on anything if the item will be in the cold.

Thank you

I just seem to get the slightest of white in the cracks of the paint
Either I’m not rubbing it all clean or it really cheap
And I end up wiping it with WD40 again just to get the white off

I’ll try some of the suggestions
Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
A tooth brush works good for detailing and removing wax from cracks.

I used to use vaseline on vintage bicycle tires. I don't really have much in Vintage tires anymore, but I recommend it. It is petroleum based. I'd rub it on them, and let them sit outside in the warm sun ( Spring/Summer/Fall) and it would really soften/condition them/be absorbed. Then I'd use a soft cloth to clean. Just don't ride them into a sharp corner right after. On a display bike, it is excellent on the tires to bring out the color and integrity of the tire. If wiped well, they won't draw dust anymore than other parts.

Back