When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Velo-King Tricycle

-

nosduh89

On Training Wheels
I found this 16" Velo-King recently at an auction. I just fell in love with it. Missing hand grips, but otherwise appears to be complete. Obvious repaint, unfortunately.

IMG_1004.JPG

IMG_1005.JPG

IMG_1006.jpg

Yes, Velo King used the same paint scheme as seen in the photo on the last post for several years. Out of the two tricycles shown above, the one in the first post is the earliest. Somewhere in the 1940s the shape of the head was changed from the earlier pointed head to a bulb shaped head. Both are nice finds!

Dave

Nice Find. Here are some pictures of the one I bought several years ago at an antique shop ( yes I have the other wheel).
I think that this one is a little older, and it has the original tear drop pedals. Dave ( Ridingtoy) is the expert on these. I will be restoring this eventually.
Good luck with your trike!

i00805.jpg

i00806.jpg

i00807.jpg

i00808.jpg

i00809.jpg

Wayne, one of these days I'll get to restoring mine. One has teardrop pedals (the larger model like yours) and the other two have standard pedals. I have old photos purchased on ebay that show both styles of pedals used.

Dave

This is one i picked up at a Estate Sale Missing some things and has a Bent WheelView attachment 783843
Charles, your Velo King shows the one weak point of their design on models from the 30s and 40s - the front pedal cranks. The hub has a square opening which the squared off pedal crank ends fit into, held together with the long bolt and nut. After years of heavy pedaling, the pedal crank ends tended to wear and round off until the ends could actually turn inside the hub, so the cranks would end up being other than 180 degrees out from each other. This could possibly be corrected using sheet metal shims inside the square hub hole to snug things up again and keep the crank ends from turning in the hub.

Dave

Back