When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Very early Pope?

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
D

davekingedits

Hey,

I've been lurking for a while -- this is my first post. Also, I don't own a vintage bike, unless you want to count my 40-year-old Raleigh Carlton.

But our local historical society does, and I had a couple questions about it. It's identified as a 1890 Pope -- I didn't get it down to look at the headbadge to confirm that. It has two features I have never seen mentioned here. On is solid tires. I got a closeup look at them, and they don't seem to be shrivled tubed tires. They seem to be genuinely solid rubber. On metal rims, by the way.

Also, the chain seems to be a precursor of even a block chain. It's made up of individual, identical links that interlock with one another. I recognize it -- I have a similar chain on an antique pedal-powered grinder. In fact, I have a dozen or so extra links I'd be willing to sell, if anyone's looking for them.

It has some other nice features. The front fork is sprung, the seat has a fairly complex set of springs under it, and it seems to have its original tool kit tucked under the seat. It also has a brake -- a small, spoon-like plate that presses against the back wheel. It's actuated by a hand lever on the right hand grip through a series of links that runs down the frame.

So what is this thing? Is it particularly rare? Is there anything anyone can tell me about it?

Thanks,

David King

Last edited by a moderator:
No digital camera, sorry. Perhaps when I get a cable for my cell phone.

David

it is called ewart chain.. the bike can be identified by the frame style, is it two top bars?, are the tires 1 inch, or 7/8ths,front wheel 32 inch- rear 30, where is the nameplate mounted??the bikes are not rare ,there are many bought and sold 2,500- 7,500, there is a link to a ladies bike, that is on ebay,on this site ,, scott's does not have the spring fork feature .. also the ewart chain is 1-1/16th ,,usually that chain is found on the first year bikes ..1889..

Dear Walter,

Thanks. I've looked up Ewart chains, and that's what it has. I've never seen one on a bicycle before, though as I say I have a pedal grinder that uses one.

I'll try to get into the historical society next week to get some measurements. Maybe I'll get the cell-phone cable and get some pictures up.

Thanks again,

David

Can you text pictures? Bring a kid or ask any kid who happens to be around to take them and send them to you via email,,

check out this photo being sold on ebay 380241646077 this is a 1889 mans columbia hard tired safety,,you will be able to tell,,, when you see the unusual features of how the frame is ..

Dear Walter,

I don't believe the frame of the historical society bike drops, but other than that, that's the bike. The chain, the saddle, the braking system, the tires are all right.

Thanks a lot.

David

Last edited by a moderator:
By the way, if I wanted to bring the historical society bike back to ridable condition -- if only for parades and such -- are solid tires like that still available? The original tires are at least half missing, and much of what remains has been strapped to the rims with elecrical tape.

Or would replacing the tires undermine the bike's historical value?

David

Back