When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

very old bicycle beer mug

-

Velo-dream

I live for the CABE
rare very old bicycle beer mug- perfect condition

280$ shipped with tracking

pay pal for friends only

Ok, got it...

"Schnell wie ein Pfeil - All Heil - Früh und spät, hoch zu Rad"

"Fast as an Arrow - All Hail - Early and Late, High on the Wheel"

"All Heil" is the old bicyclist greeting, could be translated "all safe and sound".

The phrase became distinct, presumably because famous Adolf used a similar battlecry, by combining "Heil" and his family name.

I used to have an identical stein like you have shown. Have you put a bright light on the bottom and looked into the stein?
MUSTERSHUTZ is a German made stein that commonly shows up with THE LAW (League of American Wheelmen) and a higwheel wheel on each side and the stein handle is the back bone of the high wheel frame and terminates into the small rear wheel.
Concerning a MUSTERSHUTZ brand bicycle motif stein, many are sold without the owner knowing that if you put a bright light under the bottom you can look into the stein and see one of two scenes of either a high wheel bicyclist crashing and the rider falling towards a woman OR a scene of a man and woman safety bicyclists riding next to each other.
I've had both versions in the past with the two rider version being more rare in my opinion.
These two scenes are made via a the lithopane process where different thicknesses of the parent soft stein material (usually porcelin) is compressed prior to firing the stein to give it strength.
From the photo of the bottom of yours, it looks like there is an uneveness of the bottom surface when looking into the stein. It could be a glare from light or dirtiness so this is what sparked my memory of the steins I had.
Possibly MUSTRSHUTZ was the few or the only stein manufacturer that did this but I am not a stein collector who would be versed in this field.
POINT TO REMEMBER: The next time you come across a stein (especially bicycle related) hold the stein up to a bright light or up to the sun, look in and you may get a surprise like the two images shown!

Photos attached I found on the internet are for your reference files.
Mike Cates, CA,

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

Last edited:
Back