Very Old Columbia Question

• Regarding bumping ads in the classifed forums, we've just installed a new (customized) add-on that will change the way ads are bumped to the top. Please refer to the post "Bumping Classifed Ads" for details.
Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
These ads go away when you register for an account!

hopkintonbike

Finally riding a big boys bike
Sep 21, 2019
Hopkinton, MA
There is a very old Columbia at the LBS that I have the opportunity to pick up if the stars line up correctly, it has a number stamped into the seat lug that I need to go back and look for, the bike has wood rims, is there anywhere else I should be looking for critical marks etc in order to establish age, model number etc? Todd

frankandpam

Wore out three sets of tires already!
Jan 21, 2016
Tacoma Wa
That looks pretty original and complete ( what we can see). I'd jump on it, if price is right !

hopkintonbike

Sep 21, 2019
Hopkinton, MA
Boy, the saddle on the bike sure looks a whole lot like the one on the cameo pic, what is the "right" price???

hopkintonbike

Sep 21, 2019
Hopkinton, MA
I agree Shawn, I don't no crap about this stuff except what you guys are learning me but that saddle is rust/patina fastened right to the post, BTW, what is that "extension" off the left side of the rear hub axle???

This ad goes away when you register for an account!

mike j

Cruisin' on my Bluebird
Jun 3, 2013
Tuxedo Park, United States
I agree, a full photo would be very useful. 800.00 sound definitely in the ballpark, but the condition that I'm seeing, puts that at the retail end.

Waffenrad

Look Ma, No Hands!
Oct 18, 2012
The piece on the rear axle is the mounting peg. From a modern perspective it's not really necessary, but it was a carry-over from how people were used to mounting a high wheel bike.

Reactions: hoofhearted

corbettclassics

I live for the CABE
Feb 11, 2012
Burbank, United States
I think in pieces the bike is worth way more than $800 if one wanted to build this with all these correct parts.

Take for example:

Frame - fork with badge - $400
Wheelset - $500 - 600 easily! ( these are the rare Porcupine hubs! )
Front Boothroyd tire - $250
Saddle - $400
Bars - stem - $200 ( flip the bars upside down and it was also used as their factory racing bar )
Pedals - these are the RARE RACING PEDALS rarely seen!!!! $600
There's still other parts like cranks, chainring, headset, bottom bracket, seat post, chain, etc etc ..... try and build this bike for $800 - Good luck!

That's my 2 cents on it anyway. It's a bargain at $800 if that's the price.

Note: the Model 45 was not their racing model ( the #44 was ) but this bike does have the racing pedals as the owner must have preferred them to the originals.

This ad goes away when you register for an account!