When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Vintage 1937 Model C Prewar Schwinn Chicago Straight Bar Bicycle Balloon Tire

-

tomsjack

I live for the CABE
Vintage 1937 Model C Prewar Schwinn Chicago Straight Bar Bicycle Balloon Tire On Ebay

s-l500.jpg

something unusual about that C model I just noticed. A few months back I picked up an identical
year and model, even color C model. It had the same bars on it... which were smaller profile like
the pull back ladies bars. I figured someone threw them on the bike at some point, although they
were Torrington 1930s and DID have the 2 wiring holes.
Welp this bike has the same exact profile bars. probably OG!
Learned something new

something unusual about that C model I just noticed. A few months back I picked up an identical
year and model, even color C model. It had the same bars on it... which were smaller profile like
the pull back ladies bars. I figured someone threw them on the bike at some point, although they
were Torrington 1930s and DID have the 2 wiring holes.
Welp this bike has the same exact profile bars. probably OG!
Learned something new

This is why I don't 'correct' an original bike when I find it. I've been told certain parts weren't correct and were probably changed or added back in the day but when I see another bike outfitted the exact same way you have to question whether it is coincidence or one day at the factory something happened or someone placed a special order. Case in point the Wald reflectors on early Phantoms. V/r Shawn

For our Archives; Not Mine.
Vintage 1937 Model C Prewar Schwinn Chicago Straight Bar Bicycle Balloon Tire
Longtime member No returns 39 watchers Item location: Inver Grove Heights, Minnesota, United States Local pick-up only

1582290903203.png

1582290931052.png

1582290955098.png

1582290981099.png

1582291005181.png

1582291029910.png

1582291053818.png

1582291076144.png

1582291101201.png

1582291127683.png

1582291150505.png

1582291173137.png

I wonder if the shops that sold them ordered them on an individual basis, like they went down a list and sent that in or if the factory shipped them their way.

These C models look really good with the aerocycle rack

Last edited:
This is why I don't 'correct' an original bike when I find it. I've been told certain parts weren't correct and were probably changed or added back in the day but when I see another bike outfitted the exact same way you have to question whether it is coincidence or one day at the factory something happened or someone placed a special order. Case in point the Wald reflectors on early Phantoms. V/r Shawn

You should seriously consider that those reflectors were a jobbers addition to the Phantom and not a factory issued part. This is the second early Phantom jobbers catalog image of the Phantom with no reflector at all, but the text description states it has the large Stimsonite reflector. The reflectors were deleted from the factory order and the Wald piece was installed by the jobber. Pretty detailed image showing no reflector but it does show the cyclelock key. Coincidence?

1582348984331.png

Back