Vintage 1978 KLUNKER 5

This ad disappears when logged in

Xlobsterman

Finally riding a big boys bike
Jan 25, 2018
USA
So in my quest to find a Cruiser bike from the old Schwinn shop I worked at back in the day in Manhattan Beach California, I finally found this KLUNKER 5 from Aviation Cyclery in Kansas of all places........LOL You have to love the power of the WWW for this type of stuff.

The bike is pretty thrashed, and not in the condition that I normally buy bikes in. But the chances of finding a bike I built 40 years ago in California, when I am now living in the North East is pretty slim, let alone finding one of the rarest Cruiser bikes from that era a KLUNKER 5.

The bike is now striped down to the frame, and I need to start sourcing some parts to bring it back to life again.

The bike is missing the original front wheel, does anyone have a complete front wheel from a 78 or 79 Spitfire they would want to sell????

Here are a few pics:

K5.jpg

K5x.jpg

IMG_0603 (1).jpg

schwinncert.jpg

sarmisluters

Mar 4, 2018
Redondo Beach, California
Great find with the bike shop decal !

I knew Karl who owned that shop and Beach Cities Cycles before he moved to Australia.
I am also in the hunt for bikes with local shop decals such as yours.
Thanks for sharing your find.

sarmis luters

Xlobsterman

Jan 25, 2018
USA
Great find with the bike shop decal !

I knew Karl who owned that shop and Beach Cities Cycles before he moved to Australia.
I am also in the hunt for bikes with local shop decals such as yours.
Thanks for sharing your find.

sarmis luters
I worked for the original owner of the shop from 77 to 82. He sold the shop in 82, and it went through a few owners after that, and closed for good in October 2017 after 50+ years in business.

https://www.hermosacyclery.com/aviation-cyclery/

aviation cyclery.jpg

hm.

Feb 10, 2018
Whittier CA
78 Klunker 5.. NICE!!! congrats on your great find!
Have the same decal from Aviation Cyclery on my 81 Cruiser 5 project that I found up in Acton

schwinn side 109.jpg

Last edited:

PCHiggin

Cruisin' on my Bluebird
Jan 22, 2008
Ryderwood, United States
I have a Schwinn Twinn from '78. It had a sticker from a local bike shop in Mount Clemens Mi. I just went to snap a pic and noticed the sticker is gone. Only thing left is the glue. It must have fallen off last time we rode it last summer. Oh well,all of the old Schwinn shops are history now.

GTs58

I'm the Wiz, and nobody beats me!
Sep 2, 2012
Central Arizona
Congrats on finding your piece of history! And a Klunker 5 to boot. The spokes do look like 105's on the front wheel in the pictures, what makes it not original?

Xlobsterman

Jan 25, 2018
USA
Congrats on finding your piece of history! And a Klunker 5 to boot. The spokes do look like 105's on the front wheel in the pictures, what makes it not original?
Yes, it looked like the correct wheel in the pic, that is why I didn't give it a second guess. But when I got it yesterday it was a cheap ass 26x1.75 rim, 80ga spokes, and cheap steel small flange hub.

Xlobsterman

Jan 25, 2018
USA
78 Klunker 5.. NICE!!! congrats on your great find!
Have the same decal from Aviation Cyclery on my 81 Cruiser 5 project that I found up in Acton

View attachment 1026867
Yea, I am sure there are still a few around in California. We sold lots of them back in the day. Please let me know if you ever want to sell that bike? Chances are I assembled it when it came out of the box!

hm.

Feb 10, 2018
Whittier CA
Yea, I am sure there are still a few around in California. We sold lots of them back in the day. Please let me know if you ever want to sell that bike? Chances are I assembled it when it came out of the box!
I had a couple nice 81s.. but sold them to friends. This red one is currently my only 81..and im still looking for a few missing parts to complete the bike. I may sell if I can replace it with another.. :)

bobcycles

Riding a '38 Autocycle Deluxe
Sep 30, 2006
so cal beaches
Might want to leave that one original paint... the chain guard decal is a big deal as far as originality
on those Klunkers...when its' gone it's gone..
Although at least you can document the restoration if you go that far

Xlobsterman

Jan 25, 2018
USA
Might want to leave that one original paint... the chain guard decal is a big deal as far as originality
on those Klunkers...when its' gone it's gone..
Although at least you can document the restoration if you go that far
It is staying all original, as the imperfections in the paint give it character as to what it has been through in its life. I would like to know the story of how it got to Kansas from California though.

It has already been stripped down to the bare frame, and is starting to go back together.

IMG_0611.JPG

IMG_0621.JPG

Last edited:

GTs58

I'm the Wiz, and nobody beats me!
Sep 2, 2012
Central Arizona
I picked up a Black Arizona sun beaten Spitfire 5 years ago and the chain guard screening was wearing pretty thin. The top tube decals were all but gone and I was afraid to clean the chain guard in fear of losing all the screening. Decided to preserve what was there so I cleaned the paint up around the screening and then wiped the screening very very gently with some large cotton balls saturated with rubbing alcohol. Then I cleared coated it! This was at the time before Dan, bicyclebones, had the top tube decals. I sent him a message when I was working on that bike asking if he would reproduce these decals and quite a few months later he did. Dan has those now if you decide you want to install new "Schwinn" decals.

Xlobsterman

Jan 25, 2018
USA
I picked up a Black Arizona sun beaten Spitfire 5 years ago and the chain guard screening was wearing pretty thin. The top tube decals were all but gone and I was afraid to clean the chain guard in fear of losing all the screening. Decided to preserve what was there so I cleaned the paint up around the screening and then wiped the screening very very gently with some large cotton balls saturated with rubbing alcohol. Then I cleared coated it! This was at the time before Dan, bicyclebones, had the top tube decals. I sent him a message when I was working on that bike asking if he would reproduce these decals and quite a few months later he did. Dan has those now if you decide you want to install new "Schwinn" decals.
The paint is too dinged up for new decals! Plus I am an all original, as found kinda guy, so it is going to stay just as I got it except for a good cleansing and lube job. The only parts that are going to be new is a shift cable, rear brake cable, cable clamps, and new studded blackwall tires.

Last edited:

sarmisluters

Mar 4, 2018
Redondo Beach, California
It is staying all original, as the imperfections in the paint give it character as to what it has been through in its life. I would like to know the story of how it got to Kentucky from California though.

It has already been stripped down to the bare frame, and is starting to go back together.

View attachment 1027060

View attachment 1027061
In your initial post you said you got it in Kansas, and now it’s Kentucky ?

This ad disappears when logged in
Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture