When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Vintage 1978 KLUNKER 5

-
Yours is all original except for the shift cable, brake cables, and is missing the F&R reflectors. OE was grey housings.
Thanks for the info.It was from out west and the paint is really faded away but a resto would ruin it for me.

Thanks for the info.It was from out west and the paint is really faded away but a resto would ruin it for me.

I would keep it as is if it was my bike. I am keep the bike I just got in the codition as found. Just cleaning, polishing, and lube. New tires and cables will be installed though, just because the others are toast.

It is slowly getting back together......!

Just waiting on the new tires, and Shimanno cable clamps. But I am still trying to source the correct front wheel for the right price.

IMG_0634.JPG

Reactions: hm.
Looking good.

Posting the specific details on the front wheel on these Klunkers might help in your search. Did these come with the non stamped S-2's?

Looking good.

Posting the specific details on the front wheel on these Klunkers might help in your search. Did these come with the non stamped S-2's?

The original front wheel is the same as was used on all the Schwinn Spitfires from 77 to early 79.

Stamped S-2 rims, 105ga spokes, and the small flange Union hubs like in this catalog pic.

1978_schwinn_spitfire_heavy_duti.jpg

Looking good.

BTW, you can see the correct front wheel in the pics the other guys posted of their bikes.

schwinn-klunker-5-jpg.jpg

Back