When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Vintage bike rack for car

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

highship

Finally riding a big boys bike
I'm looking for some pictures of car bike racks that would be era correct on a vehicle from the 60's or 70's. Google turned up very little... Did they exist back than?
Thanks.

Bike racks in the 60's and 70's typically were bumper mounted. I remember our family had one that hooked to the rear bumper of the family station wagon. It could hold two bikes. It did not clamp to the bikes so a liberal use of bungee cords were needed. Sorry but I can't find a picture.

I would think that you could find information in the Sears catalog or a Firestone catalog
Original-vintage-1951-Firestone-advertising-Catalogue-TIRES-APPLIANCE.jpg

MRG hit it pretty close, another style would have had 2, 1"X1" square steel tubes attached to the bumper (threaded clamp/bolts - 2 per side to clamp to the bumper) and a third 1"X1" tube across the top (these could take up to 2 bikes) no padding - nothing except ingenuity to keep them from getting scratched up...............

Back