When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Vintage bike rack for car

-

highship

Finally riding a big boys bike
I'm looking for some pictures of car bike racks that would be era correct on a vehicle from the 60's or 70's. Google turned up very little... Did they exist back than?
Thanks.

Bike racks in the 60's and 70's typically were bumper mounted. I remember our family had one that hooked to the rear bumper of the family station wagon. It could hold two bikes. It did not clamp to the bikes so a liberal use of bungee cords were needed. Sorry but I can't find a picture.

I would think that you could find information in the Sears catalog or a Firestone catalog
Original-vintage-1951-Firestone-advertising-Catalogue-TIRES-APPLIANCE.jpg

MRG hit it pretty close, another style would have had 2, 1"X1" square steel tubes attached to the bumper (threaded clamp/bolts - 2 per side to clamp to the bumper) and a third 1"X1" tube across the top (these could take up to 2 bikes) no padding - nothing except ingenuity to keep them from getting scratched up...............

Back