When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Vintage Dahon Folding Bike Help Please-Urgent!

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

New Mexico Brant

Riding a '38 Autocycle Deluxe
So a handful of years ago I purchased a Dahon Boardwalk model on here from John @morton. It served me well at many a Brimfield and Hershey Auto swaps. Saturday, at Monroe, a pedal gave out (crank threads were shot) and Mike Spangler @prewarbikes4sale witnessed me almost doing a header on that little folding bike! I made it my mission to upgrade and buy a three speed version at the swap. Time was of the essence as Brimfield is next week. Anyway a got this older three speed version for $90 at the bike corral. I didn’t due my full due diligence as the owner was minding the corral and said "it rode great 20 years ago, the last time I used it." While carrying it back two my space; two people in route tried to buy it; I was feeling great about my purchase. While at my swap space, this bike got more interest than my antique and balloon tire wheels! At least four or five additional people inquired about its price. I end up selling the one I nearly headed on for $20, the only bike I sold at Monroe!
Fast forward, yesterday I was cleaning this up and unfolded it for the first time. What in the heck is missing that keeps the frame clamped together?! I found what I believe is the original manual on academia.com. The illustrations are horrible and the parts diagram cannot be blown up unless I upgrade my subscription. Please help! I need to get this sorted before Monday! I guess as a last resort I can secure the frame for use with bailing wire.

Kind thanks for any advice, information, and/or suggestions!

Brant

F5394721-4084-493D-9F7A-168C5B5B831E.jpeg

B08B76DA-792A-4A34-91B6-4293AADF8FD9.jpeg

01661C18-4919-46DC-AFAC-6DCF39D9F2FC.jpeg

CD9D4EE5-D3F0-4004-BD34-9D7FD49F823C.jpeg

23AFA891-E18F-4354-A594-89C5F6767FD4.jpeg

C7A4C8B4-4279-4688-8206-3D01058892DA.jpeg

3C4BA5A4-F611-490E-89A2-A8F529E0E785.jpeg

Last edited:
So a handful of years ago I purchased a Dahon Boardwalk model on here from John @morton. It served me well at many a Brimfield and Hershey Auto swaps. Saturday, at Monroe, a pedal gave out (crank threads were shot) and Mike Spangler @prewarbikes4sale witnessed me almost doing a header on that little folding bike! I made it my mission to upgrade and buy a three speed version at the swap. Time was of the essence as Brimfield is next week. Anyway a got this older three speed version for $90 at the bike corral. I didn’t due my full due diligence as the owner was minding the corral and said "it rode great 20 years ago, the last time I used it." While carrying it back two my space; two people in route tried to buy it; I was feeling great about my purchase. While at my swap space, this bike got more interest than my antique and balloon tire wheels! At least four or five additional people inquired about its price. I end up selling the one I nearly headed on for $20, the only bike I sold at Monroe!
Fast forward, yesterday I was cleaning this up and unfolded it for the first time. What in the heck is missing that keeps the frame clamped together?! I found what I believe is the original manual on academia.com. The illustrations are horrible and the parts diagram cannot be blown up unless I upgrade my subscription. Please help! I need to get this sorted before Monday! I guess as a last resort I can secure the frame for use with bailing wire.

Kind thanks for any advice, information, and/or suggestions!

Brant
I have one similar to yours, but it's a little older. It's the original stainless version with the built in rack and the orange fenders and guard. There are two parts of the clip on mine, one that extends from the rack with acts like a spring with a bend at the end to fit into the clip that's attached to the frame which is bent in the opposite direction. Here's a picture and let me know if it's not clear enough how it works. I'm showing it detached to make it clearer in the picture.

1651598710275.png

Edit, here's a better view. Actually the one clip is on the folded handlebar tube and not the frame.

1651599231282.png

Last edited:
OK scratch that last post. I now realize you want to find out how to lock the frame in the riding position, not the folded position.

There's another spring clip for that looks like it might be missing on your bike. Here it is in the open position:

And here it is in the locked position for riding:

The hinge fits into the groove of the spring clip to lock it in place.

OK scratch that last post. I now realize you want to find out how to lock the frame in the riding position, not the folded position.

There's another spring clip for that looks like it might be missing on your bike. Here it is in the open position:

View attachment 1618915

And here it is in the locked position for riding:

View attachment 1618916

The hinge fits into the groove of the spring clip to lock it in place.
Thanks, yes I am missing that spring part, that was what was tripping me up. The pictures help.

If you ever are considering an E folding compact bike, i am considering selling mine as i havent been on it for over a year.

20200907_081657.jpg

I also sold my Dahan years ago, to much flex in the frame. My go to folding bicycle is a Banchi, can ride all day in comfort.

Back