When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Vintage English Rocket

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
-----

Do not think it a Raleigh product.

Integral headset looks like it may be a Brampton product.

Fork crown shape and cap suggestive of Hercules. The firm did cycles with integral headsets at one time.

Blades appear they may be D-section which would mark it as relatively early.

Bicycle imported by Joannou.

They were a major popularizer of English three-speeds beginning in the immediate postwar period. They later went on to handle derailleur geared cycles from Britain as well.

Mr. Joannou was a Cypriot who moved to Britain and thence on to the the U.S. He founded a bicycle importing & distribution firm shortly after the end of the second world war. Company called J.&G. Joannou.

Possible the Rocket badge may belong to them.

Other members are sure to know more regarding Joannou.

-----

Last edited:
The frame appears to be a 21 incher due to the short head tube, but the fork looks to be for a bike with 28” wheels due to the excessive clearance between tire and underside of fork crown. The paint on the fork looks blacker than the rest of the frame leads me to speculate that the fork was a replacement, possibly due to an accident. Just an observation, don’t mean to be picking apart your bike.

The frame appears to be a 21 incher due to the short head tube, but the fork looks to be for a bike with 28” wheels due to the excessive clearance between tire and underside of fork crown. The paint on the fork looks blacker than the rest of the frame leads me to speculate that the fork was a replacement, possibly due to an accident. Just an observation, don’t mean to be picking apart your bike.
Hey, no worries! I don't feel that way at all. I am amazed at how much yall know about the details like you mentioned. I appreciate all input!!
'Preciate ya!

-----

Fork crown shape and cap suggestive of Hercules. The firm did cycles with integral headsets at one time.

They were a major popularizer of English three-speeds beginning in the immediate postwar period. They later went on to handle derailleur geared cycles from Britain as well.

Mr. Joannou was a Cypriot who moved to Britain and thence on to the the U.S. He founded a bicycle importing & distribution firm shortly after the end of the second world war. Company called J.&G. Joannou.

-----
Thanks for the input, sorry so late to reply. I am very grateful for the comments, thanks! I love how Cabers are so knowledgeable & willing to share!

I found this at a local resale stop, and bought it for the Brooks saddle for an attempt at restoring it.
I just kept it as a wall-hanger. (The saddle)
The whole bike was 10 bucks! Did I do ok for 10 bucks?
The lights are now on my '62 Typhoon.
View attachment 1264124

View attachment 1264125

View attachment 1264126

View attachment 1264127
Hey
I found this at a local resale stop, and bought it for the Brooks saddle for an attempt at restoring it.
I just kept it as a wall-hanger. (The saddle)
The whole bike was 10 bucks! Did I do ok for 10 bucks?
The lights are now on my '62 Typhoon.
View attachment 1264124

View attachment 1264125

View attachment 1264126

View attachment 1264127
Hey I am sorry for a late reply I just seen your post I actually own a rocket like this but mines is more complete I have been looking for years for anything about these rockets and can not find anything mines has the fenders chain guard same head badge the air pump on the frame I just wanted to post thank you.

Hey

Hey I am sorry for a late reply I just seen your post I actually own a rocket like this but mines is more complete I have been looking for years for anything about these rockets and can not find anything mines has the fenders chain guard same head badge the air pump on the frame I just wanted to post thank you.
No worries! I'm glad you may have gotten something from the post! We would love to see your bike, we love pics!
I still have this bike, although it is kinda just porch-art. Thanks for the reply!

-----

-----
I think you're right, this looks like Tubing Industries before they bought Raleigh. But I've been reading about Monark, and they started importing English lightweights during the '50's (before Huffy bought them) and "Rocket" was one of the model names they used a lot. Did Joannou import these for Monark, or am I being led astray by the name?

I think you're right, this looks like Tubing Industries before they bought Raleigh. But I've been reading about Monark, and they started importing English lightweights during the '50's (before Huffy bought them) and "Rocket" was one of the model names they used a lot. Did Joannou import these for Monark, or am I being led astray by the name?
I also have a rocket bicycle I been looking for years there a lost bicycle company the history of the bikes I have never found a trace of there an England bicycle from what I know they used to be used for racing

I also have a rocket bicycle I been looking for years there a lost bicycle company the history of the bikes I have never found a trace of there an England bicycle from what I know they used to be used for racing
Post some pictures if you can, a lot of English bikes were imported into the U.S, especially from the late '40's up into the early '80's. And a lot of bicycles were "re-branded" by whoever was selling them, the original makers often included their name on a decal somewhere on the bike, but not always, and the badges were whatever suited the retailer. Monark imported English bikes for a year or two before they were bought by Huffy, there's a page in the Monark book with an ad for the "Rocket" but it identifies the maker only as "a division of TI industries", which could be Hercules, Norman, Phillips or a number of other brands owned by Tubing Industries at the time. Besides the name, the crown at the top of @Lonestar's badge is similar to an emblem often used by Monark.
If you get some pictures, try to get close-ups of the lugs where the frame tubes join. A lot of English bikes look similar from 5 yards away, but the construction details can make the difference.

Last edited:
Back