When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Vintage KTM 3 Speed

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

West is the Best

Look Ma, No Hands!
Hi all,
I bought this bike on Ebay the other day; shipping from Wichita, Kansas to LA California. I hope it gets here in good shape.

Does anyone know about these bikes? KTM has been making beautiful, high quality dirt bikes, and other types of motorcycles for many years.
Their bicycles were very popular in Europe. They still make bikes but seem to not be very popular in the US.
I am thinking this bike must have been shipped over here somehow.
Anyways it intrigued me to the point of buying it. I want to keep it original but upgrading with new wheels with a new
s-l1600 (6).jpg

KTMjpg.jpg

s-l1600 (5).jpg

KTM Bike_1.jpg

SA 3 speed and shift lever.
Maybe change the bar and seat.. Keep the seat for show. Give'r a total TLC treatment.

It should make a fun and interesting rider that would be quite at home on bike trails and quite roads.

If anyone has some info on KTMs ; what year it might be, it would be fun to know.

Thanks

------

wrt origin -

there appears to be a retailer transfer being worn by the machine at the bottom of the seat tube

one possible origin might be a U.S. military person stationed in Europe who brought it home when their tour ended

have never heard of organised importation of KTM bicycles to the U.S. does not mean that such has not happened of course!

is the Torpedo shift trigger broken/incomplete?

---

frame -

constructed with NERVEX lug pattern Nr. 45/162

fork crown is Agrati pattern "SPORT" Nr. 026.8058

chainstay and seatstay bridges are ESGE plate style

threading for headset and bottom bracket is BSC/ISO ("english")

---

fittings -

caliper brake and lever are Weinmann

pedals are either WECO or Union - cannot see clearly enough to be sure which, they resemble Union model 685, the endcaps will be marked with a name or logo

chainset may be THUN or Agrati - several makers did this pattern

front hub appears it may be Union, likely unmarked

if cycle produced for export to the anglophone world would expect wheels to be 26 X 1 3/8 size

if made for domestic market they may be 650 size

rack is of course ESGE Pletscher

---

dating -

the Torpedo hub should have some markings
http://www.torpedo-coasterbrake.com/hub-date.htm

the backside of the Weinmann brake caliper may have a marking as well
it is sometimes in the form of a clockface

Weinmann brake caliper date code .jpg

dating guess - ~1965-67

---

links -

web site - https://www.ktm-bikes.at

history - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/KTM

https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/KTM_Fahrrad
-----

Last edited:
Wow thanks very much for the information! I do not have the bike yet, It is being prepped to ship.
I will give a full report and take some pics when I get it. These are the Ebay pics.
Yes it will be interesting to see the dealer tag on the frame.

------

thank you for the additional imagery.

tyres look to be Semperit.

is wheel size 26 X 1 3/8"?

were you able to read marking on pedal end caps?

if you can post photo of bottom bracket shell may be able to identify it.

have you discovered a serial number?

-----

Yes the tires are 26x 1 3/8, the petals have a "U" on them, Front brake is Universal. There is a number on the BB.

3 speed hub is a Sachs, early 70's . Looks like this bike was rode very little. Looks like it crashed and parked. There is a scuff on the right corner of the seat and the Magura shift grip is broken.

The frame is really nice, very few scratches and the paint looks good under the dust and grease. The spokes are not SS and are kinda rusty but very solid and true.
the fenders are metal; they are in fair shape. The fenders are made of some type of aluminum metal but they have some rust.
Its gonna be a cool ride!

-----

Thanks very much for the updates and additional information.

Shall be curious to learn if bottom bracket fittings or backside of crank arms exhibit any markings.

Look forward to following along as you work with the bicycle. ;)

The bullet seat stay treatment is not commonly seen on an Austrian machine. Perhaps the frame tubing was supplied by Italy.

-----

Thanks for the comments. I will continue to keep adding to this thread and learning from you guys.

Any idea where I might get some new crank cotter pins? I beat these up a little getting them out.

Are these pins the same as the English ones?

I will post some more pics soon.

Thanks

Back