When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Vintage KTM 3 Speed

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
-----

Wedgebolts -

hope you did not pound on them as this can brinnel the bottom bracket's bearing races

Styria/Steyr/Puch employs 9.5mm pins

most common German size is 9.5mm

would expect KTM to employ 9.5mm as well but have no hard information, simple eno' to measure

(and yes, 9.5 is also the "English size")

suggest beginning with a medium cut

source -

https://www.thebikeshopstore.com/ca...MI1YSyrbi14gIVzCCtBh1iVQGrEAQYASABEgLdIvD_BwE
-----

Thanks for the comments. I will continue to keep adding to this thread and learning from you guys.

Any idea where I might get some new crank cotter pins? I beat these up a little getting them out.

Are these pins the same as the English ones?

I will post some more pics soon.

Thanks
The cotter pins available here are real nice:
http://bikesmithdesign.com/CotterPress/cotters.html
Not sure if they will be the Raleigh cut or not, maybe order a pair of each. They also sell a great pin extractor.
I like that rocking lock on the grip shifter. It really helps keep it in gear. A rider naturally applies torque on the grip while riding and that lock is helpful. I enjoy that on my Sears 3-speed.

s-l1600 (7).jpg

Thanks for the link to Bikesmith Design. I bought the press and some pins. No more hammers!! Very nice tool and pins!

I found another KTM 3-speeder on Ebay. My bike has a bracket for one of these doohickeys. What is this thing?

I will post some more pics soon. I have been working a lot so not much time or energy but making some progress.

It also has a bracket on the right fork leg that I am assuming is for a generator light .

s-l1600 (8).jpg

-----

doohickey is a wheel lock - item commonly encountered on cycles produced in Germanic countries.

yes, fork blade bracket for lighting system.

thank you for the update. ;)

-----

I'm sure you'll like that cotter pin tool. What I usually do is remove the nut from the cotter pin and put oil in the void and let it soak overnight. I then remove the pin and repeat the process on the other side. This takes a few days but that is when I do my wheel hubs. The oil makes those stuck pins loosen up easier.
Wondering if that do-hickey is a locking device that keeps the wheel from spinning so that no one can ride away on your bike. I've not seen them in that fashion but maybe?
Hah! I see that Juvela has beat me to it. :laughing:

Some updates: I bought a new wheel set with a Shimano 3 speed hub, and shiftier assembly. The originals were in decent shape but the spokes were too rusty for me. They are not SS.
I will keep them though to practice on someday.

The wheels are for 26" mid-weight bikes. They did not drop right in but they do fit well with a little coaxing and have enough clearance.

Does anyone know where to get fender mounting hardware bits like the ones in the picture below?

I have most but one is broken off at the threads.

The frame is a good size is for me. I do think I will end up getting a different stem and handle bar setup to be a little more efficient and make it kinda unique.

I did have to get a new front brake with longer reach. I thought 26" was 26" but its not when it comes to bike wheels....I'm learning..

Coming along!

IMG_1491.JPG

IMG_1492.JPG

IMG_1493.JPG

IMG_1496 (1).JPG

Back