When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Vintage Orignal Schwinn World

-

Kenny Middendorf

Look Ma, No Hands!
Here is another auction find I have been lucky to find . no one wanted it for more than the 15.00 i had to give for it .It could use a stem and handle bars , looks like it was dropped on them from the rafters of a barn or something. I aired up the original tires and rode it the whole weekend. great bike ! cant wait to clean him up and cruise to work on it this summer.

IMG_5385.JPG

IMG_5386.JPG

IMG_5387.JPG

IMG_5388.JPG

IMG_5390.JPG

IMG_5391.JPG

IMG_5395.JPG

IMG_5396.JPG

IMG_5389.JPG

Thanks , according to the Schwinn date code tool says its built 3/16 to 3/18 of 1953 .# j14041 it has a few scars but shined up great .your new world looks great,cool bike .

Thanks , according to the Schwinn date code tool says its built 3/16 to 3/18 of 1953 .# j14041 it has a few scars but shined up great .your new world looks great,cool bike .

Now this is funny. I copied and paste your serial number in the serial number look up box on the schwinncruisers site and got this.

Congrats! Your bike is an original Chicago Schwinn.
Built: 09/18 of 1961. Go to 1961 Schwinn catalog -->

That's an early to mid 1950s paint and decal scheme. It's odd that it has a flat blade fork rather than the tubular fork for that era (the New World in this thread from 1953 has a tube fork). The catalogs from the era also describe "Schwinn tubular" fork. Does it appear original to you? It almost looks like a middleweight fork in a couple of the pictures because it looks like there's a large gap around the fender.

It's a really nice bike in a great color. It's a steal for what you paid. Be careful straightening that fork - looks like the bend is in the blades rather than a simple bend to the steerer tube. You may need to jig it and do a measured and matched bend on each blade.

That's an early to mid 1950s paint and decal scheme. It's odd that it has a flat blade fork rather than the tubular fork for that era (the New World in this thread from 1953 has a tube fork). The catalogs from the era also describe "Schwinn tubular" fork. Does it appear original to you? It almost looks like a middleweight fork in a couple of the pictures because it looks like there's a large gap around the fender.

It's a really nice bike in a great color. It's a steal for what you paid. Be careful straightening that fork - looks like the bend is in the blades rather than a simple bend to the steerer tube. You may need to jig it and do a measured and matched bend on each blade.
thanks for the info. everyone , ya that's weird i clicked your link to the decoder you used and clicked the go to catalogue section and there is no mention of a Schwinn world . the 53 catalogue shows a twin to mine (unless its black?) so I'm sticking with 1953 . oh yes I'll disassemble it repack everything ,clean and polish it all before summer. Hopefully the fork isn't to much of an issue i'll get it figured out though . live and learn!!!

I like to see how many times I get the wrong info from Schwinncruisers.com's serial number look up. Even the easy numbers come back with the wrong year. Anyway, I never use that SN look up when I want the correct info.

Last edited:
Back