When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

vintage phillips,rod brakes,fixie,patina,prewar?as-is

-

jmastuff

Finally riding a big boys bike
cool old Phillips, 28" wheels,rod brakes,phillips leather seat, I would say this possibly prewar, looks original, it has patina! I am not going to clean or work on this, sold as is, tires hold air, goes like a bat out of hell, brakes slow you down at best.. rear wheel will need axel bearing tightened up some, crank has an issue, in the last two photos you can see right pedal in two different positions, that is the slope in the arm, it is tight on the center shaft so there must be problem inside bottom end.. cool bike 225.00 or best offer plus shipping

28 phillips    rusty S-2 rims 001.JPG

28 phillips    rusty S-2 rims 002.JPG

28 phillips    rusty S-2 rims 003.JPG

28 phillips    rusty S-2 rims 004.JPG

28 phillips    rusty S-2 rims 005.JPG

28 phillips    rusty S-2 rims 007.JPG

28 phillips    rusty S-2 rims 020.JPG

28 phillips    rusty S-2 rims 021.JPG

28 phillips    rusty S-2 rims 006.JPG

28 phillips    rusty S-2 rims 007.JPG

There's nothing wrong with the crank; someone has just put one of the cotters in backwards.

For rod brake pads, I've had the best luck with good condition originals - the ones that came pre-contoured to the rim shape. I recently put a fresh pair of those on a Raleigh and it improved stopping power even over new Fibrax pads (also pretty good). Kool stop inserts are also an option if you have rebuildable pad holders. The cheap-o oriental pads are a last resort. Their quality is dodgy, but it's better than nothing.

Back