When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Vintage Raleigh

-
I recall these well, and generally ridden by awesome riders as well. Young Jeff Bradley springs to mind- a road bike "lifer" who started very young racing- single digits of age- and then was part of the group of Juniors specifically trained by Eddy B. (I am NOT he.) Once that generation came to maturity- you had to be full-time to stand any chance of competing with them. I guess Lemond and Andy Hampston are the most recognized of the bunch.

The hardened annodized gold rims are awesome especially as the titanium BB, although I recall having a titanium spindle- and it wasn't all that expensive - in the mid 70's on a full campy bike.

On a contrary note- I look at this point as a departure of sorts- going away were the days of Columbus and 531 sort of "standard" full Nuovo and then Super Record bikes, and more exotic things - and expense- would more change the landscape-

taking a "racing bike" even farther from a "touring bike" or transportation bike and into ever more exotic mindsets and expenses that I think eventually damped the racing scene itself. A full Super Record Columbus SL or Reynolds 753 bike reached about $1200 at the time- I'm sure this bike was over that figure if any at all were sold retail.

It forced a lot of adaptation and other equipment- the bike shops had to have more special tools and on and on through the 80's and 90's, the vastly improving Japanese components gaining more niche.

The Team Record to me represents about the peak of what a road bike was during my own career. Nice.

Last edited:
Sorry to hear about your dad, bruh.

That was a high pedigree bike in its day. The flagship of anything Raleigh put out. If a frame builder wanted to use Reynolds 753 tubing they had to submit an application to Reynolds. Reynold would send out a kit in which the frame builder would assemble. They would in turn submit the frame back to Reynolds in which they would do strength tests. If it passed inspection, the frame builder would be accepted to use the 753 tubing.

The team bikes are not all that rare, quite plentiful actually. Fortunately for you, though, they are highly collectible. You will have no trouble at all selling it.
There's a RaleighTi group on Yahoo that are quite knowledgeable.

-Billy

Sam, after 4 years, I'd think you're unlikely to get his attention unless you send him an email or a pm if he has pm notification linked to his e-mail.

Sam
It is an old post however I still have the Raleigh Team SB2521 in 57 size, all campy super record with titanium freewheel, titanium crank spindle, titanium wheel axles and seat bolt. It is best to email me, [email protected]

I recall these well, and generally ridden by awesome riders as well. Young Jeff Bradley springs to mind- a road bike "lifer" who started very young racing- single digits of age- and then was part of the group of Juniors specifically trained by Eddy B. (I am NOT he.) Once that generation came to maturity- you had to be full-time to stand any chance of competing with them. I guess Lemond and Andy Hampston are the most recognized of the bunch.

The hardened annodized gold rims are awesome especially as the titanium BB, although I recall having a titanium spindle- and it wasn't all that expensive - in the mid 70's on a full campy bike.

On a contrary note- I look at this point as a departure of sorts- going away were the days of Columbus and 531 sort of "standard" full Nuovo and then Super Record bikes, and more exotic things - and expense- would more change the landscape-

taking a "racing bike" even farther from a "touring bike" or transportation bike and into ever more exotic mindsets and expenses that I think eventually damped the racing scene itself. A full Super Record Columbus SL or Reynolds 753 bike reached about $1200 at the time- I'm sure this bike was over that figure if any at all were sold retail.

It forced a lot of adaptation and other equipment- the bike shops had to have more special tools and on and on through the 80's and 90's, the vastly improving Japanese components gaining more niche.

The Team Record to me represents about the peak of what a road bike was during my own career. Nice.
Enjoyed your narrative. Thanks for sharing.

Back