When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Vintage VW Speed equipment, Gene Berg

-
Sounds like a VW I want to build. I use to street race in OC in the 90s and have been to Gene Berg many times, they are out of business now correct? I use to see Clyde Berg on Sunday nights in his Corel Red bug. The sound of 48IDAs and straight cuts, big cam, music to my ears.

I think Gene Berg Ent. is still going, Doug posts on the samba fb group quite a bit...
I follow vw stories on IG but no one has answered me if they were still around. Not the same caliber of course but I worked Johnnys Speed and Chrome in my early 20s. I knew the circle of people during that time.

I have some old stuff laying around from my VW past going back to the '70's. I will have to dig and see what I still have, but I know I have a single Shaun McCarthy Superflow head from about '91 or '92 with light damage from a broken piston. Also I have a bunch of Manley titanium valves. Early Hurst copper shifter. Box of misc vintage parts. Not sure what else but I can look if your still looking and interested.
Still have the old race car from early '90's too...
Ran 10 o's 135-137 mph
Taz Car.jpg

Last edited:
My son and I raced VW's for 19 years in Southern California, Nevada, and Arizona. PRA Super Gas champions in 2005 and 2007, an original Der Renn Kafer cup car, 1960 European Sunroof car with Semiphores. This car had original BRM wheels when it was street driven. All steel 1650# and street legal, won Quick 16 at Bug In 32, and the Quick 16 Wally at the last NHRA Import race at Pomona. 11.60 Index car most of the time. Best run ever at Fontana was 10.87 at 132 MPH on nitrous. Ron Lummus full cage, Bus Box with swing axle conversion, 2387cc, Flanged Scat crank, aluminum case converted to roller lifters, IDA's bored to 52.5 mm by Shawn Geers, motor assembled by Alan Weiss, Troy's DKP club member. This car was sponsored by Cal Look.com. We also had a DKP club 1965 steel sunroof car, 2387cc fuel injected street car.

Let me know what you're looking for as we still have some small "unbroken" parts and lots of Weber jets left over.

I bumped into Dyno Don Chamberlan at an open house in the City of Orange this past Saturday. I had not seen him in years. He looked great and has another new car.

John Palmer

Back