When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Vintage Westfield Bicycle. My Dad's, purchased circa 1936. Westfield brand. Wooden wheels. Does any one have any knowledge of history, model etc.

-

martinto

On Training Wheels
63E223A0-AE89-4B1F-AC5F-213927A0D6FA.jpeg

Looks cool. Could you post more pictures please? Including Headbadge and under the bottom bracket where there may be serial numbers. Any other detail shots would be great. Thanks
Additionally, welcome to the CABE!

Yes, both shots your requested and additional close ups. My Dad considered this a racing bike. When he was a kid in Italy, bike races through his village were a big thing, so he had the bug after he came to the US. This bike is configured so that you can pedal backwards! Do you have background on Westfield bikes? My Dad purchased new rubber glue on tires from Columbia. They still had the tooling...about 15 or so years ago.

1241ACA4-D2D2-43C6-B6FD-11D2715AECA3.jpeg

D83FC969-7C2D-4130-B2ED-90C69B94B7BF.jpeg

55B2941D-65C1-43A8-B752-1470580607F3.jpeg

F86541A6-0502-434C-BD62-92981D6603E3.jpeg

8E780752-C101-42AA-983D-FE6234C460FC.jpeg

I'm not much of an expert. The real expert would be @MrColumbia or @catfish. The way you describe the bike being able to peddle backwards and have the wheel spin that way would make it a fixed gear. Look above the serial number for the bottom bracket code. It would be a letter followed by one or two numbers. This can help date the bike. I'll look for my date code image to share with you. Beautiful looking machine

Additionally, I wonder if it has a flip-flop rear hub. A shot of that through the spokes would be nice. Thank you

I'm not much of an expert. The real expert would be @MrColumbia or @catfish. The way you describe the bike being able to peddle backwards and have the wheel spin that way would make it a fixed gear. Look above the serial number for the bottom bracket code. It would be a letter followed by one or two numbers. This can help date the bike. I'll look for my date code image to share with you. Beautiful looking machine
I can see a faint depression Under the paint which may be the code. I will try and remove the paint. Will let you know. Thanks

Start by shining a strong flashlight at an angle across the code. Try getting a photo while it's cross lit. That may work. I wouldn't scrape any paint until you've tried that.

Not sure what a flip flop hub is. It’s a single axle with a single sprocket. Pics not so clear as its hung on the wall. Yes, I will try your suggestion tomorrow.

View attachment 1137158

View attachment 1137159

View attachment 1137160

Thanks for the pics. Not a flip-flop hub. That is a hub that has two ends that can be used by flipping the wheel over. Freewheel on one side, fixed on the other. That is a simplistic explanation, maybe not technically the best. :)
This Phillips is on my '39 Westfield. Notice the threading opposite the cogs.

Back