When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Vintage Whizzer Belt Tension Help

-
Technically you should be using a 48 tooth* or smaller chain wheel so as to pedal easier. a 52 is hard to pedal with a Whizzer.
* I would put on as small a front chain wheel as you can stand... if you are far from home, you want it easy to pedal back if it breaks down.
Not with a flat tire...

Whizzer s are a pain in the a..butt.
I havnt been able to get my belr right on a shwinn knowledable wz and my pedal hits the belt gaurd. Knowledable help is there but hard to get to take a real look.
Most of the time i ride this thst i built up. I ride i almost every day and it is always adjusted and always starts up and moves my bike everywhere i like to ride.
20191223_141924.jpg

I

For general knowledge only. Not trying to cause bad feelings. Whizzers are difficult enough to put on Schwinns. Other kinds of bikes are. . . .
1) Think of the wind in your face and the babe sitting on the handle bar. 2) Mind numbing distillates help. 3) Standing on your head and spitting nickels will relax you.

Last edited:
I didn't know what I was doing, but I assembled my first Whizzer and it worked right from the start, and I didn't use a manual. I installed my back wheel as if there was no motor. Then I installed the belts. With mild tension on the clutch pulley spring, I pushed and pulled the engine to where the belts seemed snug. For more ease I even removed the clutch pulley spring and sheave belt in order get the parts in the position I wanted. (MOST IMPORTANTLY) With the clutch lever engaged the clutch pulley always rubbed on the coil cover. I think that's just the way it is. Also with the clutch lever engaged my Whizzer would stall at any stops, that's because the pulley belt is round and still has friction. To solve this problem you will have to install the belt guard. The belt guard will prevent the belt from turning into a circle and instead keep it an oval shape so the pulleys can fit between the belt. Anyway, that is a problem you may run into when you get there. Moral of the story is, when you run into these problems don't go by the manual, but first try to make it ride-able and work, and then refer to the manufacture's steps. Maybe this isn't the best advice, but if it's not working you have nothing to loose. Okay you can loose your life, and maybe some money if your bike falls apart, so be careful. Also a smaller chain ring will give you more slack on your chain so more then likely you will have to remove a link. Don't give up!

belt cover.png

Back