When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Violet Paint Issue

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

marching_out

Finally riding a big boys bike
Been working on this Collegiate for a while and did my normal paint cleaning process.
1. 0000 steel wool w/WD40
2. Meguiar's ultimate compound
3. Johnson's paste wax
After checking back in after a couple of days, I noticed the paint didn't have the luster it did when I finished. A close up view looks like the paint is crazing and the Johnson's dried in the cracks. I picked a bad spot and re-applied some Meguiar's in a strip and the paint magically came back to a nice shine. Thoughts?
IMG_7862.jpeg

IMG_7863.jpeg

Not intending to be rude, but best advice is to not use steel wool on candy paint. The early 60s coppertone was especially delicate, now that I think about it most of the silver base/transparent top coats from 68 back did not maintain the luster of their later counterparts.

Not intending to be rude, but best advice is to not use steel wool on candy paint. The early 60s coppertone was especially delicate, now that I think about it most of the silver base/transparent top coats from 68 back did not maintain the luster of their later counterparts.
No rudeness taken. My bad on not picking up on that paint tidbit from other posts. The frame and fork had tar splashed all over it so the WD40/0000 did wonders. And the paint looks great after the Meguiar's. I do have a '65 coppertone Collegiate so the advice is well taken.

Back