When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Violet Schwinns

-
I’ve been contemplating buying this ‘77 Sierra for a couple of weeks even though I’m not a road bike guy, just because of the color. Someone tell me why I shouldn’t pull the trigger.

View attachment 1716778
That's "Flamingo". Very close to violet but a wee bit lighter. Supposedly used for just six months in 1977 only. I'd grab it if the price is reasonable. They don't show up very often.

That's "Flamingo". Very close to violet but a wee bit lighter. Supposedly used for just six months in 1977 only. I'd grab it if the price is reasonable. They don't show up very often.
Thank you for the clarification, I never knew they were two different colors, because I don’t think I’ve ever seen an actual flamingo-colored Schwinn. I thought maybe it was just a trick of the photographer lightening up the photo.

This '67 was my main rider for a time. It brought me places in style, for sure. This was before cleanup, and I was too lazy to try to find a real photo, so this is a screenshot from the 'gram (hence the crop:(

I just also sold a ‘66 Varsity Tourist to a collector with deeper pockets than mine. Wish I would’ve kept. Violet is an amazing Schwinn color

View attachment 1717080
Literally same story for me! Sold mine for $300 locally no questions asked. Guy messages me every couple weeks to tell me how much he loves it and rides it all the time! I miss having that color in the fleet but it sure went to the right person…

Hi everyone, I’m pretty new to theCABE and haven’t contributed to chats before so please excuse me for not properly introducing myself. I came across this thread and had to share my violet Schwinn Superior. I’m not quite sure its year as it’s in storage, but I believe it’s a ‘62.
493AF983-D1B9-4928-B75C-56A195EAA1D7.jpeg

I saw this thread and took it as a good opportunity to show a Violet bike beside a Flamingo bike, for comparison purposes. The Violet Varsity tourist is a '67 model and the Flamingo Suburban is a '77 model. Although my old camera does't pick up the shade differences very well, I believe the two colors are formulaically different and Flamingo is not just a light coat of Violet, where subtle blue pearl seems to be present. Unfortunately, these pictures do not do justice to either bicycle or paint color, but I hope you enjoy the pictures!
Thanks, Mike

Purplink! 001.JPG

Purplink! 002.JPG

Purplink! 006.JPG

Purplink! 008.JPG

Back