When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Violet Varsity

-

MarlinSteve

Finally riding a big boys bike
Just picked up this October 1966 Varsity cause I like the color. Now to clean it up.

-----

Thanks very much for sharing this find.

The violet colour does not come up often.

Curious to know -

1966 was the launch year for the Huret model 700 Luxe front mech with dual travel adjustment screws. interested to learn if the bicycle received one. cannot quite tell due to the lock bracket.

---

Pedals -

what year did the Varsity first receive the Union 40U pedals?

---

The forum had a recent thread on a Violet Super Sport which the experts were able to date as a 1964 -

-----

Last edited:
-----

Thanks very much for sharing this find.

The violet colour does not come up often.

Curious to know -

1966 was the launch year for the Huret model 700 Luxe front mech with dual travel adjustment screws. interested to learn if the bicycle received one. cannot quite tell due to the lock bracket.

View attachment 1273324

---

Pedals -

what year did the Varsity first receive the Union 40U pedals?

---

The forum had a recent thread on a Violet Super Sport which the experts were able to date as a 1964 -

-----
Looks like just one screw.

-----

Thank you so much for the speedy response and the good photos!

This is indeed the later type two adjustment screw model.

My apologies for any confusion. Had only the catalogue page for the Huret version to send which differs somewhat in layout/appearance from the Schwinn Approved edition.

This forum thread shows the earlier single adjustment screw model of front mech on Varsity of 1963 -

-----

-----

@juvela ,
The 1960 Varsity was the first Schwinn to use the U-40 rat traps. Large cap U stamped and that lasted thru 1965. In 1966 the U-40's were small cap and Schwinn was stamped on the caps. The finish also changed around this time judging from my examples.

@juvela ,
The 1960 Varsity was the first Schwinn to use the U-40 rat traps. Large cap U stamped and that lasted thru 1965. In 1966 the U-40's were small cap and Schwinn was stamped on the caps. The finish also changed around this time judging from my examples.

-----

Thanks so much for this excellent information!

Sounds then like the pedals on the subject machine are replacements.

Perhaps the owner wished to be able to ride barefoot...

---

Finish on the Union Frondenberg U-40 was always offered in both zinc and in chrome. Have seen some Schwinn bicycles with each of these finishes and never known if it were a model year thing or a model thing. May have simply been a function of what the Schwinn buyer could get at a given moment...

-----

Last edited:
-----

front mech addendum -

here is the Schwinn Approved Huret Luxe 700 front mech as it appears on a 1974 model Sports Tourer. note how it more closely resembles the Huret version posted above. the twin travel adjustment screws can clearly be seen directly behind the seat tube:

-----

-----

if only me laundry room were as tidy as thine... ;)

---

one technique employed by some enthusiasts to "repack" undisassemblable pedals such as the Union U-40 is to drill a tiny hole in the "dustcap" and use it to pump grease into the pedal with a grease pump. grease will come out the other end around the spindle. keep pumping and watch until such time as the grease coming out is clean and you are done.

-----

Last edited:
Back